+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Study Break 2/13/14

Default Study Break 2/13/14

I'm in my junior year of engineering studies and my courses are getting pretty intense. I finally found a break in my studies and made it out to the creek for some time on the water. When I first put on my waders, it was in the mid 50's, sunny and no wind. The fishing was tough! The only fish I saw was when I half fell into the creek when the bank collapsed beneath me. But the last hour I was out a low pressure system blew in and the fishing lit up. In that last rainy, windy hour I caught 8 little brownies.

Pretty good study break if you ask me

winter fishing.jpg

Job well done! Your score is A+
    Warren
    Fly fishing and fly tying are two things that I do, and when I am doing them, they are the only 2 things I think about. They clear my mind.

Glad the fishing turned on for you! Excellent stress reliever...I bet you didn't even think about your classes while you were fishing!
    David Merical
    St. Louis, MO

Good for you, but I gotta give an A- because there's no fish photos. Study hard and have some fun.

I thought there were no trout in the Dakotas?

They were brown suckers, not brown trout. Common misconception, especially in the Dakotas

There's open water in South Dakota in February? Who knew?

Great job on the trout, er suckers!
    And wherever the river goes, every living creature that swarms will live, and there will be very many fish. Ezekiel 47:9

Many of the creeks around here stay open year round. Some slower sections and the headwaters freeze over but it is easy to fish all year!

The weather around the Hills is goofy. The last week has been really nice 40+ highs. Today it reached 55 degrees. Of course we get the cold snaps too, the week before that the highs were never above single digits. Then we get storms like that one the first week of October. They usually aren't that bad but when we get any significant amount of snow, it never seems to blow in peacefully.

I grew up on the eastern side of the state, now that's cold. I remember not seeing temps above -25 for a week straight! You can be sure there's nary an ounce of open water east of the river.

+ Reply to Thread