+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Started my first rod tonight

PastorEd, are you building the 9' 3 wt?

Buzz, no I am building the 7'9" 3wt. this time. I am hoping the next rod will be a 9' 4wt.

JGW. Building canoes does indeed sound cool. I barely have enough time to do the things I do, spend time with my boy and get a little fishing in, but I would love to do that some time.
    By the way... I spent quite a bit of time in your part of the country when I was in Seminary in the Twin Cities, and I do beleive that as a small town editor you are going to be held responsible for at least 3/4 of the problems in town, maybe more if you are a Lutheran.

Looking forward to playing later tonight.
    Ed

PastorEd;
    How goes the Epoxy session? It's starting to get exciting isn't it? Bet you have a hard time sleeping tonight wondering if you got the mix right!!
    I have built the H&H 2 wgt. Forecast. Awsome!!

You are soooo right Jack.
    Everything looks great so far, I "THINK" I got the mix right, but ... I guess tomorrow will tell.
    Now if the weather will just hold for a couple of days so I can take it out and lawn cast it!

Ed

Finished!
    It isn't perfect. Not by a long shot. In some places it looks down right home assembled. But then again... it looks pretty darn good to me... and after a bit of lawn casting I get the feeling that this is soon going to be my favorite rod.

Do you suppose anyone would call mental health if they saw me "fishing"in the irrigation ditch?

Thanks for all the support guys...

Now lets see where is H&H's phone number?

Ed

PastorEd;
    For sure, If they found out you built the rod too!
    So what is your next build to be?

You know, I started the same way. My first 2 rods were a spinning rod and a 6 weight fly rod. Neither were a work of art worthy of showing anyone in my opinion, but I even took the time and put a decorative diamond wrap on the fly rod. In the meantime, I've built rods for my 3 kids, a couple for the wife and several for friends at cost not to mention several more for myself. I look back on those 2 rods and I see every flaw, every little thing that I've learned to do better in the meantime. But you know what, no one else has ever even noticed (except to admire that crummy little diamond wrap). And for some strange reason, I enjoy fishing those 2 more than any of my other rods.
    So cast them in the ditch, the bathtub, or any other water you can find. That's one of the main reasons we build these things in the first place. Now you have first hand experience understanding our illness. Isn't it great?
    By the way congratulatons on your first build.

[This message has been edited by ol' blue (edited 11 January 2006).]

Blog Entries

Nicely put, Ol Blue. We will see every flaw in our rods, especially since we are probably looking at them with magnifiers or at least reading glasses. Most people will never notice and the fly line, fly, and the fish definitely won't, they will cast and catch fish just fine.

Greg F

Yea Blue, it is grand... had all this fun, and now I have a new fishin' rod to boot. There are plenty of imperfections, a couple that even a cursory look will find. But it's my rod now. I know how it works, have spent some quality time with it. How could it not be special? The fact that it is already the best casting rod I own, and I have only lawn cast it for 10 mins. may be mearly the product of my affection for it, but I sure can't wait to give it a proper baptism.

And to answer Jacks question, as I noted in a now locked post on sound off, I was gifted with a 9' 4wt, which will be my next build as soon as I get an order of componants from H&H. Hopefully I learned enough from my mistakes on #1 that #2 will be much better, and by the time I get to number 6 or 7 I ought to be pretty good.

Ed

+ Reply to Thread