+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Furled leaders and streamers?

Default Furled leaders and streamers?

2 things I'm going to use more of this year are streamers and furled leaders. My dilemma is whether to try to use them together? It seems most logical to just use an old mono leader and cut it down to about 4 feet or so for the streamers, but I'm wondering if you "furly" folks use them for streamers?

I most certainly do!! I find furled leaders give me a definite advantage in turning over streamers, especially those "big ugly" ones. And, the obvious advantage of being able to change tippets (read breaking strength) is also plus.

As a side note, I am planning on going to the Midwest Fly Fishing Expo in early March to visit with Jack Hise and Kaboom, I'm needing to replenish my furled leader supply.

Mike
    Work is something for people that don't fish.

That's what I was thinking, but wanting to know what to ask them(Kaboom and Jack). Do you just use a short one?

We...Jack and I...make a 4 foot furled leader designed just for streamer fishing. I is made from fluorocarbon and sinks like a stone. It is my choice when I am streamer fishing for bass or trout. This leader is designed for 7-9 weight rods, but could be downsized for 4-6 weight outfits with no problem.

Brad
    "A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her."
    -W.C. Fields

Great, I should have just asked you, Kaboom1 - will be using a 6 wt, so can you pm me how to get one of them? Thanks
    Last edited by herefishy; 02-11-2014 at 11:45 PM.

herefishy;
    PM your snail mail addy and I'll send you one. As Brad said it sinks like a stone and will turn over a VW!!

Jack, you two are great, but I already have one of your freebies. Will pm you for payment instructions. Thanks!

It's not that complicated, is it?
    To the simpleton, proof does not matter once emotion takes hold of an issue.

Just something to keep in mind when ordering or purchasing a furled leader. Lets say you are planning on using it on a 5wt rod. You need to keep in mind that the furled leader you tried that was on your partner's rod that worked great may not work the same on your 5wt due to several factors such as: His rod may have been a fast action and your rod may be a medium action. Your partner's rod may be a 9' rod and your rod may be an 8' 6" rod. I only bring this up because as I read each post, we are not comparing apples to apples wth the rods or the material used for making the furled leader. There are so many variables with this subject. Just my thoughts and nothing more.
    '
    Warren
    Fly fishing and fly tying are two things that I do, and when I am doing them, they are the only 2 things I think about. They clear my mind.

+ Reply to Thread