+ Reply to Thread

Thread: The puzzle

Default The puzzle

I want to put together one of my grandfather's cane rods this winter. I would like some opinions.

Rod #1 is a three piece, 9 foot, H-I Governor, cool bakelite reel seat, well worn grip.. about 8 inches short in the tip.

Rod #2 is a three piece, 9 foot South Bend, 359-9' cheap looking reelseat, cool looking grip... about a foot short.

There is a non original tip matched up with this rod that is three inches too long. (it has the same color florist tape holding on the snake guides)

I also have a mid section and two short tip sections from an unknown 8 1/2 foot rod of what looks like quality construction. One tip is short two inches (+/-) from the top. The other tip section is 1 inch short from above the ferrule

The puzzle is.. if it was you, which rod would you put together(first?)and which pieces would you use?
    (is the H-I rod a better rod than the S.B.?)
    (should I cut down the long tip)
    ( banty?)

------------------
    "too much of anything is bad, but too much whisky is just enough"
    Mark Twain

[This message has been edited by dudley (edited 10 January 2006).]
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements.
    --- Horace Kephart

As a gross generalization the SB's were better than the HI's. I believe your SB is the lighter 'trout action' rod. The short tips are a problem , you can lose 1 - 2 in without changing the rod much but if you go over 6 in then the rod action will be seriously compromised. Good news is that a plea for a full length 'orphan' tip from another SB or HI on one of the 'boohead' sites will be fairly inexpensive. I would find another tip for the SB. Cut down banty rods vary wildly in casting ability, from godawful to a max of OK, At least when compared to a purpose built rod. Full length restored, the rods will be a great personal memento of your grandfather. I restored my grandfathers Montague, they are similiar to your HI in quality.
    splinter

Thanks for your reply splinter.
    After further research I find that both of these rods are dogs.
    I'll do something with them but I know I won't be sinking a lot of money into them.
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements.
    --- Horace Kephart

+ Reply to Thread