From my own personal observations color like any other variable, depth, presentation, size, shape, profile, vibration, speed, smell, visibility, movement, electromagnetism, etc...... that will trigger a response from a fish sometimes matters and sometimes doesn't. I fish a lot of teams of flies to give the fish an instantaneous choice and the results can be surprising, even fly location on the team can be factor on certain days. Once you think you have the fish figured out, they can make you feel pretty stupid the next time out, it can be quite humbling.

There are days where fish will have a preference of selection and there are days when they won't. Some days one specific variable is the trigger and other times it doesn't make a difference in the world. There are many reasons in favor of and favor against any of these variables. It is always interesting to see these debates and watch people argue with each other until they are blue in the face. Fishing boils down to playing the game of selection which personally I believe where the fun of it is. I love the great diversity of flies and gear that target all these variables. It keeps things moving and makes me think, and pops my fat head when I need it.