+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Do you feel the economy is still slowing down sales.

Default Do you feel the economy is still slowing down sales.

As we roll out of hunting season and headed toward fishing season I have tried putting what I can "spares"for bass fishing convential tackle on a few bass sites and eBay but no takers.Do you feel people are holding onto what money they have or have just quit the want buying and not need buying.

I believe you're right about people slowing down on their buying habits. I also believe that more and more of the "Baby Boomers" are reaching retirement age and are no longer earning an expendable wage. I certainly fall into that second category. Forced into retirement with bills, a house payment and only social security to pay for everything.
    Where you go is less important than how you take the steps.
    Fish with a Friend,
    Lotech Joe

If the stock market is any kind of a barometer, stuff is going well. On the other hand, if that's not one's bag, stuff ain't so well. The second scenario is the predominant state of things at this time IMHO and discretionary spending suffers.
    My wisdom /insight on this subjet is by virtue of a BA from UW ( Go Pokes!) and a PHD from U of HARD Knocks ( which I am still attending seeking and avoiding even HARDER knocks)

Mark

FISHING?? Right now, fishing seems eons away... we're still battling snow (it's snowing again right now) and ice, and worrying about scooping the driveway, and slipping, falling, and breaking our old-ish bones! Give me a day or two of sunshine and temps above -25, and, sure, I'll be thinking of parting some change for fishing equipment!
    Trouts don't live in ugly places.

A friend is not who knows you the longest, but the one who came and never left your side.

Don't look back, we ain't goin' that way.

I don't know if is slowing or maybe were are at rock bottom , sloooow growth .hope when spring arrives things well start a growth,

I have noticed on the bass sites that items do not sell unless you basically give em away just to rid yourself of them.I know I was buying up what I call spare lures in case the ones in the tackle box got lost but then I realized my spares where outnumbering my boxes amounts!

I'm planning the bulk of my fishing purchases for the next couple of months. I'm just waiting on my tax refund. Thomas, it could be that other people are waiting on the same thing.

Since July 1, 2009 population has grown 10.22 million, during the same period of time jobs have grown 6.7 million jobs. This does not take into consideration those of us who are underemployed. The difference between 10 .2 million and 6.7 million may affect some purchasing decisions.
    Want to hear God laugh? Tell him Your plans!!!

Blog Entries

There is little doubt in my mind that the economy is still going down hill. We have a number of major stores in our area that have closed their doors within the past two years and others are going to be shutting down very shortly. The people coming to fly fishing events are spending way less than they used to. The purchase of raffle tickets has gone down each year for the past 5 years. The bidding on silent auction items has greatly decreased so now the norm is one or two bids on items that usually would have had half a dozen bids at least. I don't blame shops for not carrying heavy inventories. If I owned a store I would carry only the items that I knew people had to buy right then, not a lot of items that may sit on a shelf for a year or so or that people can order off the internet if they don't mind waiting a while for shipping and such. It just isn't worth it. Larry ---sagefisher---

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by sagefisher View Post
    There is little doubt in my mind that the economy is still going down hill. We have a number of major stores in our area that have closed their doors within the past two years and others are going to be shutting down very shortly. The people coming to fly fishing events are spending way less than they used to. The purchase of raffle tickets has gone down each year for the past 5 years. The bidding on silent auction items has greatly decreased so now the norm is one or two bids on items that usually would have had half a dozen bids at least. I don't blame shops for not carrying heavy inventories. If I owned a store I would carry only the items that I knew people had to buy right then, not a lot of items that may sit on a shelf for a year or so or that people can order off the internet if they don't mind waiting a while for shipping and such. It just isn't worth it. Larry ---sagefisher---
    I agree with a lot of what you are seeing and saying, here in AK. The AFF Auction has had a hard time selling off extremely high end donated trips, dirt cheap...

Raffle tickets have not been bad, though, but that is a function of turn-out and prizes, more than most things. I gave away a donated St Croix High Stick Drifter last Monday and sold far more tickets than normal for a low turn-out night...

In April a Cabela's store is going to open here and it is probably less than a mile from home and I have to drive right by it to get to my favorite fly shop...

+ Reply to Thread