+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Do you feel the economy is still slowing down sales.

Quote Originally Posted by hap View Post

In April a Cabela's store is going to open here and it is probably less than a mile from home and I have to drive right by it to get to my favorite fly shop...
    I wouldn't worry too much. They opened two in the Denver area recently. The one I stopped at had 1 aisle of tying stuff, an area of rods, (mostly Cabla's branded) and an acre of gear chucker stuff.
    The best hackle they had was Whitting bugger hackle.

Three years ago there were 6 fly shops in Boise. Today there are two (plus a Cabelas, but it certainly isn't a fly shop and I seriously doubt it has had much of an impact on the fly shops that closed).

I'm sure the economy has impacted the industry as a whole along with guide bookings, lodge bookings, and new equipment purchases. I personally don't buy that much anymore because I've got all the rods/reels I need and let's face it, the newer and better advertisements from Sage, Ross, Abel, Winston, etc are just schtick to sell new equipment.

My brother owns a dry cleaners, and we were discussing just this issue the other day. he has had to cut the hours of his employees, and cannot even afford to leave work to take his daughter to visit colleges. he is doing about half the business he had 6 years ago, and other cleaners in his area are doing even less, at least 2 have closed.

He feels it has a lot to do with the fact that people are afraid to spend "discretionary" income on things like dry cleaning and other "luxury" items. This does not bode well for the economy, especially in the luxury areas, such as fishing/fly fishing. I don't see anything changing anytime soon.

and as far as fly gear goes....it doesn't help that the manufacturers come out with "new" stuff every year, and it really isn't much different than the "old" stuff...so why buy it? I know I am not buying anything but hooks and a few tying items for the foreseeable future....unless I see a wicked deal, online or not, big box or not.

Mike
    Last edited by maodiver; 02-10-2014 at 05:11 AM.
    ‎"Trust, but verify" - Russian Proverb, as used by Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by RS2 View Post
    Three years ago there were 6 fly shops in Boise. Today there are two (plus a Cabelas, but it certainly isn't a fly shop and I seriously doubt it has had much of an impact on the fly shops that closed).

I'm sure the economy has impacted the industry as a whole along with guide bookings, lodge bookings, and new equipment purchases. I personally don't buy that much anymore because I've got all the rods/reels I need and let's face it, the newer and better advertisements from Sage, Ross, Abel, Winston, etc are just schtick to sell new equipment.
    As to shops closing...I agree. Just because some trout bum has a dream, doesn't make him a buisnessman. And then there's location, location, location. I live somewhat close to Denver. If I took a 100 mile radius of the city, there are probably 30+ fly shops. The number remains somewhat constant, but the names constantly change. Some shops close because the owner thought he could own a shop and yet fish every day. Locally I know an owner who closed because his main buisness was guideing the S.Platte in Cheeseman Canyon. Then the Hayman fire and the aftermath silted every hole/run for who knows how long. Aside: even in high runoff years, the water co. controls the dam above so we don't get the raging runoff that would move the silt out. His problem: one dimentional. There's a shop right on the river that will never go out of biz 'cause they're a "destination shop". So, everyone can feel sorry for the fly shop that went out o buisness in

Quarzite Az. but, Location, location, location.

Fishing interests always rise when the warm spring wind begins. It's been a hard winter.

As to cabelas,I have heard rumors of one coming mid state NC and I hope it does not.I can buy from them online with free shipping and no sales tax,if one moves to NC then if you buy online then you will be charged sales tax.

I guess I am looking at the selling end more than buying end for one reason and please look at it in my shoes.
    As I stated in a topic a few months ago,I have had a heart problem for 18 years,walls are thickening and I was on toprol to slow my heart rate so the walls would shrink or stop closing more.Then in Dec I went in to the hospital for non sleep and found I had afib.I have gone in for nuclear stress test and found no blockages but my output flow was 46% verses 50% normal which wasn't much difference.I then began thinking about all the extras I had bought up just because of a "deal"or excess money and thought ,I don't need this stuff and if I died!what would and how would the wife know how to sell it all and cost.So I am going to sell off some conventonial tackle and lighten the load and hold onto my dough!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by chewydog View Post
    I wouldn't worry too much. They opened two in the Denver area recently. The one I stopped at had 1 aisle of tying stuff, an area of rods, (mostly Cabla's branded) and an acre of gear chucker stuff.
    The best hackle they had was Whitting bugger hackle.
    That is what I have seen in the couple Cabela's stores I have been in, too. We lost one shop here last year, but that was just an owner deciding to move to WA to guide for steelhead... He never really liked the shop work/life, it seemed.

We also have a Bass Pro that was supposed to open early last year. Through their own ridiculousness they will be lucky to open this year. They brought in "their People" to do the work and cold climate construction was not in their experience bank. Caused a fair piece of heartburn for a number of folks in the process. They have already hired people and some of them are hanging around in the remaining fly shops taking notes and not being very cool about it...

Quote Originally Posted by hap View Post
    That is what I have seen in the couple Cabela's stores I have been in, too. We lost one shop here last year, but that was just an owner deciding to move to WA to guide for steelhead...
    What steelhead? He must not have fished for steelhead in Washington before making that decision.
    "The reason you have a good vision is you're standing on the shoulders of giants." ~ Andy Batcho

Quote Originally Posted by Kerry Stratton View Post
    What steelhead? He must not have fished for steelhead in Washington before making that decision.
    Sounds like he may be another statistic. The failure rate for new businesses is astronomical. I cannot imagine going to a region where I am a newcomer and competing against the established guys.
    Want to hear God laugh? Tell him Your plans!!!

+ Reply to Thread