+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: "Out of Stock".....

Blog Entries

Default "Out of Stock".....

I know we have sponsors here and we have folks associated with fly shops who are members. In general, I appreciate such commercial enterprises.

However, I have found what appears to be a seemingly pervasive practice which really irritates me.

I did a search on the internet for a supplier of a rather pricey fly tying tool. I found a number of shops which offered the item. I ultimately learned that no shop has the product. There is one US distributor and they are out of the item. Further, I contacted the European manufacturer and learned that none were yet ready to be shipped to the distributor.

Now, in a couple cases, when I tried to purchase from the shops, I was told they did not have one in stock. They explained it was pricey and they didn't want to carry an inventory, but they could get it shipped to them in 2-3 days. This, they subsequently learned, was not the case as the distributor did not have them in stock.

In other cases I was only informed of the unavailability when I was trying to purchase the item from them. Yet, these shops advertised the item and did not, until I pointed it out, indicate they were "out of stock".

Anyway, it really irritates me. One would think that the shops would indicate initially that the item is out of stock and, further, that the distributor is also out of stock. One shop told me that the item was held up in customs which I found out is not the case as the manufacturer has not sent them to the US yet.

This seems to be the norm with other European products as well. Ask any Vespa owner about missing out on a big portion of a riding season because Piaggio fails miserably at determining the levels of parts to inventory for distribution. I feel you pain Byron. Many times I go to a fly shop only to find the fly tying item I need or want is on backorder for months or longer. Thankfully alternatives exist, but still its annoying. Its probably due to fly fishing being a niche market. If fly fishing was as popular as say baseball I'm sure we would not be experiencing the shortage we do with fly fishing paraphernalia.
    Trout don't speak Latin.

Blog Entries

Here's an update. I found a website in New York for a shop which said the item was in stock.
    I sent them an email about the item yesterday. Today, I got a response: Sorry, we don't have one in stock.....
    That is about the 8th or 9th place I have contacted trying to purchase one.

What is the item you are seeking? Perhaps I have it in my tying supplies. I have ton of stuff I don't use. Also, perhaps someone else here has the item and is willing to sell it to you.
    "The reason you have a good vision is you're standing on the shoulders of giants." ~ Andy Batcho

Blog Entries

A Petijean Swiss Master Vise. As I said at the beginning, it is a pricey item.
    I am sort of a viseaholic. I have the best vise on the market, I feel, in the Jvice, but always intrigued by new designs.
    I buy and sell quite a few vises.
    Last edited by Byron haugh; 02-09-2014 at 06:35 PM.

Byron -

There are several of these vises listed for sale on Ebay. One seller shows he has 7 of them available for sale.

Blog Entries

Thanks John.
    But, are they the "Premier"? I saw a Swiss Master. It had a "Buy it now". I bid on it and was told "it isn't in stock". Can you believe that?
    The specific one I want is the weighted base model....not the C-Clamp one.
    If you see one, please post the ebay page!

Quote Originally Posted by Byron haugh View Post
    Thanks John.
    But, are they the "Premier"? I saw a Swiss Master. It had a "Buy it now". I bid on it and was told "it isn't in stock". Can you believe that?
    The specific one I want is the weighted base model....not the C-Clamp one.
    If you see one, please post the ebay page!
    Byron,

Is this it?
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Marc-Petitje...item2ebd048858

Blog Entries

No, that is the C-Clamp version that converts to a "leg" base model. I am looking for the weighted pedestal base model. However, I bid on that one or one just like it and was told it would be ordered......

Blog Entries

Look at the note in the description for the one you posted
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/MARC-PETITJE...item5afb18a3c2

Here is a picture of the one I want

Last edited by Byron haugh; 02-09-2014 at 10:37 PM.

+ Reply to Thread