+ Reply to Thread

Thread: The Zing Wing Caddis

Blog Entries

Default The Zing Wing Caddis

This is a Zing Wing Caddis tied by John Betts. For a while, this fly was extremely popular. Betts says that for a whole year he fished nothing but this one fly and did very well. I believe it is so named, because, as the fly shoots past you on the forward cast, you hear the "zing" sound the plastic material for the wings makes. I have had good luck with the fly.
    This one tied by John Betts himself.

That just looks buggy. I really like the "less kempt" look, which I have noticed many legendary tyers leave their flies with.
    Want to hear God laugh? Tell him Your plans!!!

Zing wing?? A material discovered by Betts in an industrial dumpster. You wouldn't approve, as it would deprive fly shops of their "deserved" revenue. See this thread:
    http://www.flyanglersonline.com/bb/s...ece-of-plastic
    BTW, Z-lon...same source.

Blog Entries

It will be OK

AlanB Guest

I recall that material coming along. Even bought a pack. Then it vanished, shame really I liked what I had of it. The taste in general here is for flashier materials, so it didn't become popular. Its a shame, anyone tying a pattern like that here is reduced to using raffiene, which isn't a patch on Zing-Wing. Do you have any other details of that pattern, the dubbing looks like synthetic?

Though I tie a lot of fancy flies for customers my boxes are full of flies like that. Partly because too much of my time is spent tying for others so I've not much time for my own flies, and partly because my magpie friends visit and the fancy flies never make it to my box!

Chewiedog, I new someone would completely miss the point! Finding material is a joy, I am always on the look out for it, and use lots of stuff like that. If I was to make it available commercially I couldn't undercut the market, and there will always be products we use that are unique to fly tying. Its not worth cutting off that supply for the saving of a few pennies on a material.

Cheers,
    A.

Good looking fly.

Is the wing material a think plastic type material?
    Thin like plastic wrap, but more stiff?

It's not stiff at all, actually gets kind of wrinkled in a box with others, but doesn't seem to hurt it. Kind of a thin swiss straw.

Blog Entries

Breyer,
    Got this at Feathercraft

It sorta looks white, but it's clear.

Quote Originally Posted by herefishy View Post
    It's not stiff at all, actually gets kind of wrinkled in a box with others, but doesn't seem to hurt it. Kind of a thin swiss straw.
    Thanks. Some capacitors are wound with a thin, clear, plastic material that keeps the foil windings insulated from each other.
    While I'm at work Monday, I'll unwind one and see if it's similar. There's probably 10 or 20 feet of the stuff in a decent sized capacitor.

Blog Entries

I think it is a cellophane material.

+ Reply to Thread