+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Dyeing pheasant tail

Default Dyeing pheasant tail

I have a bunch of pheasant tails and I would like to die some of them olive and some a light sulphur. I have a good supply of acid dyes. I am wondering if the tails need to be bleached first in an attempt to take out some of the color. I have dyed a few with pretty weak results. If I bleach them I will probably soak them in equal parts water and peroxide for a while. Is there a better way? I have seen some beautiful pheasant tails in fly shops so I know they can be colored. I just don't know the best way to do it.

Thanks in advance,

Greg

Greg,

Not sure how long a weakened peroxide solution would take or how well it would work, but if you're serious about trying this, A.K. Best, in his Dyeing and Bleaching, recommended a mixture of Clairol Basic Professional White, extra strength powder lightener and 40% volume peroxide (both available at the time in beauty supply stores) and some household ammonia. Depending on how long the materials sat in the mix, he could bleach brown hackle to ginger, probably lighter if they soaked longer. Best part was the stuff did not damage the materials being bleached, not something you can always say with other methods.
    I bought the stuff years ago, but haven't taken the time to try it out yet; probably saved my marriage.

Regards,
    Scott

Thank you Scott. I acquired those ingredients today and dyed some PT this evening with far better results. I think I could have let the pasty mixture stay on the tails a bit longer; next time I will double the soak time. I did come out with some golden stone colors and also a good olive color.

Thanks again for you help.

Greg

Greg,

Glad it worked out for you; I was just passing on A.K.'s wisdom. Now you've got me stoked up to give it a try and the wife's out of town for a few days; perfect timing.

Regards,
    Scott

+ Reply to Thread