+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Just curious...

Default Just curious...

I was just wondering how long it took some of you more experienced rodmakers to make your first rod, and how many rods you were able to make out of a single culm your first time out. Also, have any of you hand-planers had any luck sharpening your blades with a bench grinder? Just looking for an easier/quicker way to get a nicely honed edge (short of buying a pricey set of waterstones). Thanks again.

Joe Martin
    Salem, OR

P.S. I was over at Bellinger the other day and got a peek at one of Daryl Whiteheads rods that they had there- had an ivory reelseat and ferrules with this amazing engraving on them. Just beautiful (and I'll bet it casts quite nicely too).

I don't how experienced they were/are but there are many cane rod building classes where the student takes home a finished rod - or in some cases ready for the guides, wraps and finish in ONE weekend.

------------------
    LadyFisher, Publisher of
    FAOL

I took me 4 days start to finish but I made a 2 strip quad instead of a 6 strip hex. For sharpening have you tried the scary sharp system using different grit sandpaper? This is the method I used because it's also the cheapest.

about 3 and half weeks, working about 2 hours each night. I built 4 and then migrated back to graphite. The saltwater heavy bug bit me and for that I need something different. But it's all good.

+ Reply to Thread