+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: ? for 1 wters

Default ? for 1 wters

Where did you get a reel and line for your rod.

I just ordered the stuff to build a 1 wt.
    I need to start looking for the reel and line so help me please.

Rick

I use a ross rhythym reel. the smallest one. I bought an extra spool for the one wt line (other spool holds 3wt line). the reel nicely balances each rod.

orvis wonderline has 1 wt line. some folks think that's a dirty word. I also picked up an airflo 1 wt line in trade for a couple dozen dry flies on the for sale board here,

you will really enjoy your one wt. gills are a flat out hoot on them.

mgj

I've got a little Battenkill BBSII, and a 1 wt line from Orvis. Wait till you tie into a little brookie on that rod ... it'll feel like a whale!!

------------------
    Trouts don't live in ugly places
    Trouts don't live in ugly places.

A friend is not who knows you the longest, but the one who came and never left your side.

Don't look back, we ain't goin' that way.

I recently finished a 1 wt with a blank from Dan Craft. A really nice rod by the way!

I wanted a nice light reel to match it but I don't like the small diameter reels that are made for light rods, like the 2? dia. ones. I feel like I'm winding fly line on a thread spool. Tiny coils and lots of winding to pick up line.

I decided on a Battenkill LA I. Shortly after I got the Orvis reel I saw the new one from Elkhorn, their MA-0.5 and I was sorry I got the Orvis. The Elkhorn MA has the same design characteristics that I liked in the Orvis Battenkill LA, a larger diameter reel available in a size suited for a 1 wt. The Elkhorn MA-0.5 is very well made and is, in my opinion, a better reel that the Orvis Battenkill LA.

------------------
    Joe

ross colorado 0 would be great too, if you can find one. I have one on a two wt rod and love it as well. the rod goes to my nephew once he catches and releases a trout on a fly he ties. he can keep the line, but I'm keeping the reel.

a battenkill large arbor reel on a featherlight whisperweight rod is just plain wrong. like a lift kit and huge tires on an isuzu pick up.

mgj

mikeytwoshoes, you obviously don't know what the Battenkill LA I looks like!

It is a perfect match for a 1 to 3wt rod, which is what it is designed for. The Ross Colorado you speak of was also designed for a 1 to 3 wt rod. And, at 3 oz., I believe the Battenkill is lighter than the Colorado was. To me that makes a better match.

------------------
    Joe

I realy like the little Hardy Flyweight. I used to fish one on a little 7'9" 2wt. and I just loved it on those tiny streams when you hooked into a giant 10 incher. Nothing screams "fish on!" like a good old fashioned click and pawl.

Bill O.

------------------
    [url=http://www.oysterbamboo.com:f86c7]www.oysterbamboo.com[/url:f86c7]

I coupled my Dan Craft 1wt with Forbes Magnesium from overstock.com ($75). At 2.2 oz seems to work great. Also the Rio Pocket Water line was recommended to me and casts quite nice, although does have some memory issues to work around. It can be found at Sierra Trading Post pretty cheaply.

Good luck with the one weight.. I love mine.

Hope that helps,

Kelvin

mikeytwoshoes, you obviously don't know what the Battenkill LA I looks like!

hmmm...I have one spooled w/ a five wt line and a spare spool w/ a sinking line, so apparently I do. it's great for big brawling water or stillwaters. neither of which make it a candidate for lightline fishing. bearing in mind that this is only my opinion and I've been known to be full of shlitz a time or two.

mgj

Which Craft rod did you buy, Rick?

+ Reply to Thread