Weekly Fraser Valley Sport fishing column; Jan 27 to Feb 3, 2014

Almost anything can be explained, if one tries hard enough, but fortunately a fisherman?s explanations aren?t usually open to proof, so they don?t register very strong even on his own mind and he finds himself free to go out the next time in the same happy state of confusion and doubt.

I often wonder why, when we are so anxious to give our quarry credit for cunning, intelligence, even wisdom, we are so reluctant to admit that he may have individuality? We don?t really know what is going on down there? If we told ourselves more fairy stories ? we might fish with much more verve and originality. The words of Roderick Haig-Brown taken from his book, Fisherman?s Fall.

I often chuckle to myself whenever I read of or hear someone claiming they have come up with ?The? failsafe lure, or know the exact time and date of a specific insect hatch. As Haig-Brown so wisely penned ?We don?t really know what is going on down there,? though at time we would like to think we do.

What is about human nature, that after a reasonable amount of study on a subject we develop a sense of entitlement? I remember days, early in my sojourn as an angler, when I was ready to throw all my gear into the deepest part of the river, because the fish refused to respond to my best efforts. I have since learned, through much experience, that it is their individuality and free will that makes catching fish so much more awe inspiring, than simply harvesting corn.

The Report

Fishing on our lower mainland lakes is fair to good. Concentrate on the north east sections of your favorite lake with a slow troll or retrieve from late morning through mid afternoon. Try: Wooly Bugger, Big Black, Micro Leach, Baggy Shrimp, Dragonfly Nymph, or Halfback Nymph. For warm afternoon dry (floating) fly fishing; try: Lady McConnell, Tom Thumb, Griffith Gnat, Black Gnat, Renegade, Irristible or Elk Hair Caddis.

The Fraser River is fishing is good for Dolly Varden and cutthroat. For Cutthroat try: Professor, Anderson Stone, American Coachman, Rolled Muddler, Black Gnat, Griffith Gnat, Zulu, Hares Ear, Renegade, or Irresistible. For Dolly Varden try: Zonker, Flat Black, Big Black, Eggo, Clouser's Deep Minnow, Bucktail, and Lefty's Deceiver.

The Vedder River is good for Dolly Varden, rainbow, and steelhead. For rainbow try: Czech nymph, Kaufmann Stone, Hares Ear, Big Black, Wooly Bugger, Eggo, Zulu, Soubou, Irresistible, Elk Hair Caddis, Tom Thumb, Black Gnat, or Renegade. For steelhead try: Steelhead Nightmare, Flat Black, Kaufman Stone, Rolled Muddler, Steelhead Bee, Irresistible, October Caddis, or Stimulator.

The Harrison River is good for cutthroat.