There are various schools of though on rod wrapping and wrap finishing, but one tip I picked up a few years ago was in wrap "finishing" before applying the varnish or epoxy. Wrapping a rod usually puts some stress on the threads in the wrapping process that can create all sorts of finish problems. these include small gaps between the thread, "fuzzies" (little strands of filamant that can be a nightmare to get rid of), and little ridges created by variations in thread thickness that is a natural occurance with any machine procuced item like threads.

What I do, following the advice of many great rod builders, is after completeing the wrap, I use a very highly polished tool to burnish the wraps. this is simply using the tool to rub the wraps in the direction of the guide, or the ferrule, or what ever, so that the thread does 2 things. 1. It flattens the thread out some which makes it more conducive to a better varnish or epoxy finish, and 2. it tightens the wraps up so that there are no "air gaps" between the wrapped threads. Next, I use an alcohol burner to very lighly singe the wraps and that takes any of the fuzzies out of the wrap before I apply the varnish or epoxy. Don't use a bic lighter however, it will leave a carbon residue on the lighter colored threads.

Just curious what everyone else is doing and if there is anything I am omitting in what I am doing that could give a higher quality or level of satisfaction in this crucial piece of rod building.