+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Rod dryer chuck (holder)

Hybrid View

Default Rod dryer chuck (holder)

Hi,
    I'm now getting clear of other projects, cleaning up the basement mess that is, and want to continue on the Never Ending Rod ReWrapping. I'm getting the hang, with many redos, of the wrapping. I have a low rpm motor, printed out the Drying Motor plans from the "Rod Building" archives. Now, for the rod chuck. I can "build" things with plans, but wood runs from me screaming if I try to "free style it". So, any thoughts or plans on a simple rod chuck to attach to my motor? I hope I didn't miss it in the Rod Building archives!
    Thanks for any help.
    Mike

Don't know if this would be what you want, but I bought a motor with an attachment to hold my rod while turning - it was a pvc cap, 2", with a hole drilled in the top - this accepted a screw which went into the motor, then there 3 holes drilled around the edges with nylon bolts going thru them to tighten down around the butt of the rod. Works fine, will post a pic if this is what you are looking for.

Melk,

I'm in the same boat and have a motor and I'm looking for some rod dryer plans. If you send me a copy of the plans, I'll be glad to see what I can figure out and send one to you.

Jim Smith

Thanks to you both. Jim, the plans for the dryer can be found below!! I did it!!! These can from the rod building forum that is accessed in articles section on the home page here. You click on the rod building tips, then scroll to the bottom to the archive, then to almost the bottom of the tips, "Rod drying motor"
    Hope this helps! I have one of your dubbing twisters that is going to go worked soon!
    Herefishy, yes if you could post a pic that would be very helpful!!
    Thanks,
    Mike
    ROD BUILDING TIPS
    Drying Motor

By Brian Ahern, Helena, Montana

I have often been asked how to make a drying motor, and have also found this to be a frequent question on various web site bulletin boards. As a result I felt it may be of some use to put together instructions on how mine was done. A drying motor can be constructed with the basic around the house tools at a cost of about $25.00.Required Tools

• 1. Drill & Bits2. 2 in Hole saw.
      3. Miter box with a back saw ($12.95 at Wal-Mart).
      4. Screw driver.
    Materials list

• 1. 36 RPM drying motor $12.95 (Jann's Netcraft)2. Wood stock 4in X 2 ft X 1/2in 1 each (I use poplar from the local lumber yard $2.49 Each).
      3. Electrical cord $1.95.
      4. Screws.
      5. Self stick felt.
    Instructions

The instructions for this are straight forward.The stock that I use comes sized for length and width at ? inch thick and is available in Pine, Oak, Poplar and Ash. By purchasing the material in this manner all cuts can be made with a Back Saw and a Miter box.The V cut on the support is accomplished with the back saw. The cut for the motor was done with a hole saw and the motor has its own mounting flange.For a cord a replacement cord was used and the connections were covered with small shrink tubing. An on/off switch can be added if one wishes. The spindle on this motor will accept a self-centering chuck if one wishes.When building a rod the last step for me is to secure the reel seat. Making this my last step accomplishes two things. First I do not have the weight to deal with and second I use old blanks cut to various lengths to secure the rod to the motor thus saving about $22.95. I pick up the old blanks for $5.00 at the pawn shop.For an Epoxy I use U-40 LS Supreme (Dura Gloss) and apply it with Box Wood modeling tools. Replacement syringes can be purchased at a farm and ranch supply for about $.29 each.I hope this Drying Motor works as well for you as it has for me and that the cost is within a range that you can accept. Since all things can be improved. If you find a modification that makes for better operation, let me know so it can be shared with all. ~Brian Ahern (Rovercat)

Publishers note:
    If you have any tips or techniques, send them along! Help out your fellow rodmakers! ~ Publisher, FAOLArchive of Rod Tips

I have two of the pvc chucks like herefishy described. They work ok.

Using the KISS principle, I made a rod chuck very simply. Buy a crutch tip, they can be found in various sizes. punch a hole in the bottom sized to fit your motor shaft. stick it on your shaft and fit the rod handle into it. Also I have placed a n appropriate sized rubber tubing over the shafts and inserted rod segments into the tubing using masking tape to secure as necessary.
    "Tap her light and she'll always be fresh"

Sometimes "crutch tips" have a steel fender washer embedded in the foot of the tip. It you have trouble making a hole in one you are probably missing the center of the washer, which I remember being pretty small.
    Want to hear God laugh? Tell him Your plans!!!

+ Reply to Thread