+ Reply to Thread

Thread: First rod kit on the way!

Default First rod kit on the way!

IT'S ON ITS WAY!!!! The wife let me down this Christmas so I had to take matters into my own hands. Talked to Bob and the boys at H&H and ordered a 9' 6wt Forecast kit. Upgraded to a full wells grip, aluminum reel seat and fighting butt to create the ultimate streamer slingin, smallmouth stingin, leathal weapon (for under a $100 that is)! Now I get to stand with my nose pressed up to the window and wait for the mailman. C'mon Mailman!!!

Now for the question. Tools. What rod building equipment should I get? I intend to build more rods and refinish some bamboo rods in the future, so I am willing to spend some money, but this will still be a hobby, so I know I will not be buying premo power wrappers, etc. But what items have you found to be valuable?

Jim;
    First, good lighting. A Clean low traffic area. My Rod Drier is an old rotessirie I picked up at a garage sale and modified with pullies for speeds,couple of wood V blocks and an oven timer will work too.
    I mix my epoxies in plastic coated Dixie bowls.
    Check out Al Campbell's Rod building advise and spec's first.

You're in trouble now Jim. Like tying flies, rod building is addictive. But don't worry, we'll help you fuel this addiction. lol.
    Seriously, if you plan on building many rods [and you will] you'll need a rod wrapper. I just use a basic one, I like turning the rod by hand, they are around $50.00. A power wrapper is anywhere from $150.00 to $300.00. A rod drier is a good idea.
    Also small tools like a fingernail clipper, razor blades, a small needle nose pliers and a cigarette lighter for the 'fuzzies'.

------------------
    To fish or not to fish?
    What a stupid question.

How about a good text book. I got Garcia's video with the kit, but are there any books that are recommended?

I like art sheck's "fly rod building made easy." it's very thorough and describes the various options available. @ $20 it's invaluable to a beginning rod-maker. hell I still consult it from time to time.

mgj

Jim;
    Knowing Bob's service you may have a great weekend project. Start practicing your wraps!!
    You didn't say how many pcs. I find that the 4 pc rods build faster, at least for me.

Yeah it is a 4 piece. And you're right, it is supposed to be here when I get home from work Friday night! I downloaded Al's articles and will plow through them tonight. Won't have the tools I need for a little while (haven't ordered them yet, wanted to see what Garcia recommends/uses and what people here recommended), but intend to get the tools soon also. Hot Dog!

Jim, agood book on fly rods is 'Handcrafting a Graphite Fly Rod' by L.A. Garcia. Published by Frank Amato Publications who publishes many fly fishing books as you may already know.

It is very informative and has lots of good pics, and is spiral bound, so it stays on the page you want. it has been invaluble to me.

------------------
    To fish or not to fish?
    What a stupid question.

IT'S HERE!!!!!!! And it's a beauty!

Now I just have to wait for a few tools to arrive and I will be in business! That and I have to get past a project at work that is sucking 60+ hrs a week of my life out of me. But one way or another, I plan on throwin some line through this thing SOON! Will post any questions I have along the way. Thanks everyone. Maybe I will try to post some photos of the finished product!

+ Reply to Thread