Thread: Founding Flies

Threaded View

Default Founding Flies

So after reading yesterday's thread about Marinaro and this Thorax Duns, I became more interested in Chauncey Lively (who was mentioned). Google led to Founding Flies by Mike Valla.

I really enjoyed and appreciated Valla's Tying Catskill Dry Flies, but figured I was going to pass on Founding Flies - I didn't have much of an interest in the somewhat more modern tiers included and figured if I wanted more on the Catskill tiers, I'd buy Eric Leiser's book, The Dettes or Ed Van Put's Fly Fishing in the Catskills.

But after yesterday's thread, I ordered up Founding Flies on the nook. So far, I've read about Mary Orvis Marbury (I've read her book), Thaddeus Norris (I knew little about him. His wets look like they'd catch fish today in a heartbeat), Theodore Gordon (nothing new here from Tying Catskill Dry Flies or from Sparse Grey Hackle's Fishless Days, Angling Nights) and I'm in the middle of the chapter on Rube Cross.

Valla does go more into Cross's method for tying dries (it's a bit garbled, as are all written tying instructions, but understandable), than he did in the previous book. Very interesting. Valla also seems to appreciate Cross more, stating that while Gordon may have been the father of the dry fly (and may or may not have taught Cross), Cross should really be credited with creating what we think of today as the Catskill dry.

I've noticed Valla's writing has improved substantially from the first book (although an early typo has Mary Orvis Marybury writing Favorite Flies and Their Histories in 1955).

$21 well spent so far.
    Last edited by Steven; 01-31-2014 at 11:37 AM.