+ Reply to Thread

Thread: feather earrings

Hybrid View

Default feather earrings

My daughters and granddaughters trying to get me to tie them some feather earring? Do anyone forum tie feather earring and give me some idea.

I have made few, not many. The parts for pierced ears or earring clips are available at craft stores like Michaels. Straight-eye hooks will hang best of course. You will have the opportunity to make the colour and size that fits your offspring re. hair colour/design and neck length. I always tied Carrie Stevens style streamers because non-fishers recognize them as flies/lures and they can be colourful or dramatic.
    The main challenge is deciding if you are going to cut off the bend of the hook, or if you are going to leave the bend and point, gluing a small bead onto the point (maybe cut 1/2 the point off so it looks like a hook with a bead on the point). Good luck regardless.
    Last edited by Greg H; 01-31-2014 at 05:05 AM.

Let's not get that fad again.

You can fashion earrings for your daughter and granddaughter without starting another run on feathers. The findings (earring parts) are easily found at Michaels Crafts. They're fairly self explanatory. Let them pick from the feathers you don't usually use (), bundle them with your tying thread, clamp the finding part around the quill end, and wear 'em! You don't have to go near as far as tying flies to suspend from the loops although that would be really fun .. if they are in to flyfishing. Try not to have them use the really long feathers, as they get caught in stuff (hair, collars, jewelry).
    And, yes. I have made many pairs of earrings WITH my granddaughter. It's a fantastic way to spend an afternoon. Even if it will look like a bird blew up on the floor of your tying room when you finish! Take pictures. It's a memory you'll want to revisit.
    Trouts don't live in ugly places.

A friend is not who knows you the longest, but the one who came and never left your side.

Don't look back, we ain't goin' that way.

I have nothing to contribute, but I thought that fad went out with the '80's.

thank you Betty here is what i done so far

+ Reply to Thread