+ Reply to Thread

Thread: I Fell Down, and I Couldn't Get Up!

Hybrid View

Default I Fell Down, and I Couldn't Get Up!

Yesterday I fell down in the parking lot at the Grocery Store. I fell on my left shoulder, and I layed there victim of crystal clear ice...

I had a case of major hurt, finally someone came and helped me back to my feet...

I finally decided to go to the St. John Hospital Emergency Room, and for the next week I will be wearing a sling, and taking a pain killer pill every six hours...

When you are a young person, you can just get back up and brush yourself off...

When you are about to have your 65th birthday, any mishap becomes a serious mattter...

~Parnelli
    "Everyone you meet in life, give you happiness! Some by their arrival, others by their departure!" ~Parnelli

I hope and pray that the sling solves your problem and the pain goes away. I am 65 now and will be 66 in March. I have an appointment tomorrow at 11am to have a bone spur ground down in my right shoulder and hopefully, everything else is in good shape. If you catch a bone spur soon enough it will not damage the rotator cuff and that is what I am hoping for because if it is just a bone spur, the therapy is around 4-6 weeks before I can start fly fishing again. Rotator cuff repair can take months of therapy. I just started having some pain in my shoulder upon lifting my arm overhead or reaching out in front. The surgeon stated that from looking at the MRI, it did not look like I had any damage to the rotator cuff and all he would have to do is grind off the bone spur, clean up the area and all that may only take about 30 minutes unless he found other damage to repair. Needless to say, I am a little concerned because I may be 65, but, I have never been in the hospital for anything and have never even had an IV.
    Warren
    Fly fishing and fly tying are two things that I do, and when I am doing them, they are the only 2 things I think about. They clear my mind.

Hope that things go well for you. Take care.
    Rick

Steven

I know what you mean, I am 67 and I found out the hard way that I can't do the thing I could do at 50. I jumped out the back of my pick up truck and found myself on my back side. The landing made my teeth raddle and my body hurt for two days. We need to keep all of us old people in our prayers.

WayneC
    Last edited by newbee; 01-30-2014 at 09:29 PM.

The worst falls I've ever had are out fishing, and the most embarassing one was when I tried to cross an irrigation ditch - it was lined with bentonite, I found out later, to keep down the leaks. I stepped into it and absolutely could not get out. Luckily my husband was able to bodily drag me out - I would have been there still.

My uncle from Mississippi, who is now deceased, told me once that once you pass the age of 60, that your body continues to age but your mind does not and you spend the rest of your life with your mind telling your body it can still do things that it cannot.
    Warren
    Fly fishing and fly tying are two things that I do, and when I am doing them, they are the only 2 things I think about. They clear my mind.

Quote Originally Posted by WarrenP View Post
    My uncle from Mississippi, who is now deceased, told me once that once you pass the age of 60, that your body continues to age but your mind does not and you spend the rest of your life with your mind telling your body it can still do things that it cannot.
    . I heard that,everyday a new pain , I once heard ,when you wake up in the morning without pain your are dead . At 72 I understand the pain.

I hope you are healing well Parn. I know that the older we get the longer it takes to get over the hurts. Our muscles get weaker and our bones get more brittle. I've started walking full time with a cane and I've found it helps my miserable balance quite a bit. If that is an option for you, don't be ashamed to use it. Get well soon old friend.
    Where you go is less important than how you take the steps.
    Fish with a Friend,
    Lotech Joe

Parnelli,

OUCH! Well, you'll feel okay, or somewhere thereabout, when those pain killers kick in. Heal quickly.

Allan

Having a young brain and a 71 year old body is the pits. I have a fishing friend who's 20 years my junior, and he doesn't quite understand why I'm reluctant to accompany him down the steep 30 foot bank, to wade in swift water that is filled with slippery rocks. The problem is that I don't quite understand it myself, and that's why I come home with achy knees, dirty water filled waders, and a resolve never to do that again. Until next time
    They're just fish, right? Right?

+ Reply to Thread