+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Drag on old Orvis Battenkill Reel

Hybrid View

Default Drag on old Orvis Battenkill Reel

I've got about a 30 year old Orvis Battenkill reel. This is one of the machined bar stock, made in England reels with a click and pawl drag.

I used the reel for the first time in quite a while last year. It seemed to me that the drag is very light even with the drag adjustment knob fully tightened (eg, I was getting overruns just stripping line from the reel). I'm wondering if anyone can offer advice on how to tighten up the drag? The springs are not broken, but I'm wondering if they need to be replaced and where I could find springs? Any help or suggestions are appreciated.

battenkill.jpg

Clean the reel well, I use brake cleaner, it leaves no residue. Then apply some top quality lub such as Quantum Hot Sauce if that does not get you on the right track give Orvis a call. They have a great reel repair program, many times they will not charge.

I would call Orvis. They may tell you to to stretch the springs. But I would call them first.

Dave
    " If a man is truly blessed, he returns home from fishing to the best catch of his life." Christopher Armour

I have an Orvis CFO III about 40 years old, which I still sometimes use. Several years ago the handle broke. I emailed Orvis and they said to send it in to them. They repaired it in short order and sent it back to me in no time (even cleaned it up for me). No Charge!
    The reels then were manufactured by Hardy in England so you know that the quality is there....
    Last edited by JimBob; 01-30-2014 at 08:45 PM.
    For a real challenge, try ice fishing with dry flies.

Any chance the reel is set up wrong (LH vs. RH retrieve) for the way the line is wound onto the spool.

Nope. I even checked the instruction manual and it is setup correctly. I did switch the left and right side pawl and springs and gave the springs a squeeze in an attempt to tighten them up, but that didn't make any noticeable difference. Guess I'll clean it up good and then contact Orvis.

+ Reply to Thread