+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hey you Southerners

Default Hey you Southerners

Don't feel too bad about having trouble with this snow. I've lived in the snow belt all of my life but this storm may have beaten me too. Having stayed inside for several days until the windchill temp rose above zero I went out to clear my driveway today. I got the turnaround in the back done but my snowblower jammed and stopped working in the heavy banks out by the road. I have it sitting in front of a heater so I can look at what happened (hopefully just a broken cotter pin link). I went back out after lunch and promptly broke off the handle of my shovel in the same bank. Using a smaller shovel I just spent a couple of hours shoveling and now have a very narrow lane I can get out. I'll widen it tomorrow if I can. I'm not sure what my back will say about that. So, uh, just how bad is it living with water moccasins in the rivers?
    I can think of few acts more selfish than refusing a vaccination.

Way down here it ain't the water moccasins you gotta watch for, it's the snowbirds...

Having lived in Ohio before moving here to Tennessee 30 years ago, I feel your pain with shoveling snow and do not envy you. Yesterday here, it was in the 20's and the same today. I have had all of this "global warming" crap I can stand!!!! : )
    Warren
    Fly fishing and fly tying are two things that I do, and when I am doing them, they are the only 2 things I think about. They clear my mind.

Well---Some days you're the dog and some days you;re the hydrant.

Just for the record, snow was not the problem. Ice was the problem.

My usual 15 minute drive home turned into eight hours, and I still had to ditch my truck and walk the last half mile -- all because of ICE.

One account I read (from a non-weather professional) said the heat in the pavement quickly melted the falling snow but the air temp quickly froze it into a sheet of ice. Everyone inside the perimeter highway decided to go home at the same time, creating an instant traffic jam on all major roads. The good news is it was too cold and too clogged for the predators to take advantage of the situation. People came out with snacks and warm drinks, Home Depot left stores open all night to shelter refugees, in general the better side of people came out.

I am thinking of putting together a MRE, air mattress & space blanket emergency kit and offering it for sale for people working in the city.
    Want to hear God laugh? Tell him Your plans!!!

Way out west here in NW Washington all we got is rain, rain, and more rain. We also got earthquakes, volcanoes, live in log cabins and are still fighting with the indians. I dunno.
    "The reason you have a good vision is you're standing on the shoulders of giants." ~ Andy Batcho

Moccasins... Moccasins are like gators, we see um all the time but they have no real bearing on our life.... Just part of the window dressing of our life. Of course we NEVER use float tubes! HA!!
    Never trust quotes you find on the internet.
    Thomas Jefferson

We had about 2" of snow, and the cold temps just froze everything. Traffic packed the snow down on the highways/roads and then it froze solid with ~0* temps overnight, but today they are calling for mid/upper 40's so it will all melt. Now they are calling for rain over the weekend. LOL.

Hey Kerry. We finally got our snow in the East half of the state. Not much though. Only about 6-8 inches or so. The skies are supposed to clear next week, but the temp are going to be frigid. It's been like living in a refrigerator lately and the SDS (Solar Deprivation Syndrome) is getting to me.
    Where you go is less important than how you take the steps.
    Fish with a Friend,
    Lotech Joe

+ Reply to Thread