Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
Clearly it has been debated yet no longer disputed that bait fishing kills more sportfish than fishing with a fly.
Agreed.

Moreover a fly tied on a barbless hook enhances the possibility of "life after fight"
I've seen studies that suggest barbed vs. barbless has does not have a significant impact on the health of the fishery, but I won't argue the point.

All the line, reel type and technique terminology is a small attempt to maximize the survival rate of trout in lakes and streams that are determined to benifit from more careful angling practices and less pressure. Give us a break here.
I understand and agree with the goal, but I think it takes the wrong approach. Scientific studies support the bait vs. fly regulations. Are there any studies at all that support regulating the line, reel, and rod as long as the same fly is on the end of the line?

This is not a tenkara vs. fly fishing argument. It is probably much more relevant to a kid with a fly trailing behind a casting bubble. The survival rate of the trout should be identical no matter what the delivery mechanism is as long as the fly is the same.