Thread: Fishing for stripers and false albacore

Threaded View

Ray,

I did a good bit of fishing for false albacore down at Cape Lookout/Harker's Island, NC; a 10 wt should be plenty of rod. We fished mostly 9-10 wts and caught fish up to 15lb, although most were in the 8-12lb range.
    When chasing breaking fish (that was the most fun) we used mostly clear, intermediate lines, leaders of about 5-6' of 12lb and lightly weighted Albaclousers, tied with Ultrahair (and a little Krystal Flash) in clear/olive, clear/chartreuse. chartreuse/pink (Tutti Frutti) on Mustad 3407 #2-6, to match the bay anchovies, and slightly larger if they were after silversides. If they weren't in The Hook, we'd go offshore and fish behind the shrimp trawlers with Teeny 450s and bigger flies like Clouser Half & Halfs in chartreuse/white - follow the boats until they started dumping their by-catch and toss flies into the mix.
    Absolutely the most fun I've ever had fishing; hope your son ties into some.

Regards,
    Scott

ps - I'd suggest looking over on the Stripers Online forum, too. Great site, lots of info to be had http://www.stripersonline.com/f/
    Last edited by ScottP; 01-26-2014 at 05:53 PM.