+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Blank Choices - ARGH!!!

Default Blank Choices - ARGH!!!

Hello again all!!! I hope that everyone is having a wonderful holiday season!

Well, I am going to be getting a late christmas gift from the wife! She is going to buy me a new rod to build!!! I know, she is the greatest!!!

So, I have narrowed down my selection to this criteria. I want a fast action 9' #4 weight 4 piece rod for some fun trout and travel fishing. Line to be use is my new Rio Nymph Line. Flies generally being used is from size 20 midges to size 6 zonker strip sculpin type streamers with maybe the occasional size 2 mylar minnow. Fishing with this rod will be river fishing mostly. I am wanting a nice fast action to get that Rio line and fly out there with ease!

My blank choices are (no particular order):

1. St. Croix SC IV
    2. Temple Forks TiCR
    3. Hook and Hackle Forecast

All will be built with REC.com NBM Nickle reel seat with Cocobolo insert, Hialoy inserted chrome stripper guides (12 10), Pac Bay Single Foot guides (66 555 444) and a Large Loop chrome tiptop.

Now for the problem. I have no local fly shops in my area stocking these rods or blanks, so I am not going to be able to cast any of these to make my decision easier. HELP!!!!

Which of these three would you all choose with the info given? Also, any help on the guide sizing would be greatly appreciated (I listed my sizes intended in () next above.)

Thanks all for the help!!!

Sincerely,
    Reg

Reg;
    Not sure about the other 2 but H&H will customize the rod to your requirements.
    I've built the Forecast 9' in 3 & 5 wgts.
    I've not had a chance to fish the 5 wgt. yet but the 3 wgt. is very nice.
    Sounds like you've got the bug!! Happy Building!!

The forecast blanks are tough to beat for the money. I have a 8' 6" 5wt that I really like. I have built several others for customers and they are all very satisfied. They are a slower action than the St.Croix as mentioned earlier and cost a lot less. I'm not knocking St. Croix they are great I really like them also. Kinda depends on my mood that day as to which I use.
    If cost is a factor, you can't beat the forecast.
    I've never worked with the temple forks.

------------------
    To fish or not to fish?
    What a stupid question.

Love those forcast blanks...Can't beat them.

------------------
    These are the idle thoughts that posses a man's mind when he's not able to fish.

Another vote for the Forecast blanks - I think you will find they are also a bit lighter in hand when fishing.

------------------
    LadyFisher, Publisher of
    FAOL

The Forecast are great for the money, but I'm not sure that I would call them a fast action. I've built a ton of the 7'6" and 8' 4 to 6 weights for a lot of people. That is the rod I give to my friends using the $30 econo setups to convince them that a decent (and not necessarily expensive) rod is worth every penny. I've built one for everyone I've let try it.
    With that being said, give the Dan Craft line a quick peek. The FT line is supposed to be an awesome blank for the money, and works amazingly well even when over and under lined. Extremely versitile. A little more $$ than the Forecast, but if you want a truly fast action, his blanks are hard to beat at any price.The Sig 3 and 5 are great too. I have a Sig V 4 weight, and I think it is probably the most moderate of the 3 lines in terms of action, but the blank weighs the least. It blew my mind when I got it in. The Sig 3 and FT are progressively faster, and also progressively heavier, from what I understand, but they are still not lead sticks by any means.
    Just muddying up the water a bit. I will go with JC on this one. Build all of them, and give the "rejects" to your kids/spouse/family/opinion givers on FAOL.

[This message has been edited by ol' blue (edited 31 December 2005).]

SCIV no doubt.
    you won't regret it.
    super super rods.

mgj

Blog Entries

I have a Forecast 9' 4wt, much more moderate than the sc4 and I like it. I also have a St Croix legend ultra 9' 5wt. They are sc4. It is fast action and I recommend it for a faster rod. Your build sounds like standard component kit for the sc4.

Blog Entries

Just some thoughts on Blank actions. Fast doesnt mean better. I think it all depends on what your fishing with or for, and what you prefer. Cost really doesnt play into this at all. With that said.....
    I recently built a 9' forcast in 8wt because I'm chucking big flys and using a sink tip line. I find its moderate action much preferable to the fast action blank which I had previously used.

[This message has been edited by Smernsky (edited 01 January 2006).]

I've built or cast all of them.

SCIV = Corvette

TiCR = Camaro

Forecast = Chevette

I love my 7'9" 3wt Forecast, best blank in their line-up, however, the 9' Forecasts are not the way to go for a primary rod. SCIV is the way to go out of your listed options,
    If it's your first build, go with the Forecast

+ Reply to Thread