+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Dub Speed device

Blog Entries

Default The Dub Speed device

Have you seen the video on this site. Interesting new dubbing tool.

http://newdubspeed.wix.com/new-dubspeed

Or you could use a cardboard box of the appropriate height or block of foam with a groove in it. And if you put the box/block in front of your rotary vise and put a hook or paper clip in the vise, you could even make dubbing brushes with fine wire by laying material on the box and twisting the wires by rotating the vise. No more purchased tools for me.
    Cheers, Greg

Quote Originally Posted by Greg H View Post
    Or you could use a cardboard box of the appropriate height or block of foam with a groove in it. And if you put the box/block in front of your rotary vise and put a hook or paper clip in the vise, you could even make dubbing brushes with fine wire by laying material on the box and twisting the wires by rotating the vise. No more purchased tools for me.
    Cheers, Greg
    That all sounds fine, but it would be much more difficult without that tool. The box or block are not anchored and I can see feathers and fur flying all over the place. It looks like a good idea to me.

Blog Entries

I agree Lastchance. Tools are aids in performing tasks and make the tasks easier.
    I don't do that much loop dubbing, but thought there were some guys here who might be interested in at least looking.

AlanB Guest

The Nor, and, I believe, the J vices both have an option of a dubbing table. In those cases the table sits between the vice and the bobbin cradle, at 90 degrees to where that ons sits. They do work in the same way other than that. By working in line with the shank of the hook, not at 90 degrees to it you are applying force in a direction a hook is designed to resist force in. Did you notice that at around the 2:47 point in the first video he straightens the hook in the vice, after it becomes bent out of shape by the force used in twisting the deer hair up? That would not be a problem had the operation been in line. Also I noted his vice position in relation to his body position. I couldn't help thinking of the pain I would suffer over an 8 hour shift at a vice that far away from me. I know you may not tie that much, I do, and with various injuries could not tie with the vice where he has it. Holding your arms up and out from your body in that way for any length of time puts strain on your arms / shoulders / neck.

I did like the heavily modified Dan Vice he was using. I don't know if that is a generally available set of modifications, but it does provide the important access to the rear of the hook that I find is the Dan vice's biggest problem. Another thing he used was some kind of disc that he attached to the rear of the tube when tying the mouse. That gave him a hard surface to wind the twisted deer hair up against. Now if he did those to fit hooks I could feel my hand delving into my pocket. (It wouldn't matter just now though, it would still come out empty!)

For smaller flies I would set the dubbing into the thread. This tool does nothing to facilitate that. Larger flies are where I would use a dubbing loop. My preferred way to handle the material to put it into a dubbing loop is a large bulldog clip. The ones used for sealing bags to put in the freezer are ideal. They come in some really large sizes. This one is about 8 inches long.

For tying mice I grip the deer hair with the clip while still on the skin. Trim the skin away then insert into the dubbing loop. Much less potential for the deer hair to end up all over the place.
    Cheers,
    A.
    Last edited by AlanB; 01-25-2014 at 05:12 AM. Reason: Appaling grammer!

Byron, thank you for that. While I do a majority of my dubbing on a NorVise, I can see that as a handy tool for loop dubbing on my Dyna-King.
    Trout don't speak Latin.

Blog Entries

Thanks Tyrone,
    I just shared that info because I thought some might enjoy seeing it.
    Which Dyna King?

This is perhaps a better video site for that new dubbing tool,

http://www.rodtrip.com
    Last edited by Byron haugh; 01-25-2014 at 10:22 PM.

Gary Borger also has a positive mention of it on his blog (http://www.garyborger.com/). His book "Nymphing" was my first introduction to dubbing loops with the hair legged woolly worm.

I do think dubbing loops and brushes are underused. They really open up some new uses of materials and different techniques. However, I'm not convinced that I should spend the $s on another tool but we'll see.

PT Barnum would be proud.

Blog Entries

John,
    Although I said at the outset that I am not personally interested in having one, I respect Gary Borger as one of the finest and best educated fisherman/tiers around. Not only does he have a PhD in forestry or tree science (and was a Professor of Biology), he has earned an honorary PhD in fly fishing/tying in my opinion. If I were at all interested in one of these devices, I would certainly carefully weigh his opinion.
    Thanks

http://www.garyborger.com/
    Last edited by Byron haugh; 01-26-2014 at 05:42 AM.

+ Reply to Thread