+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: slip on leader loop

Default slip on leader loop

Whenever I see mention of nail knots, whipped on loops, and such, I wonder why nobody seems to like the "slip on leader loops"? They do add a little weight on the end of the line, but I don't seem to notice the connection to sink. They are so easy to put on.

I don't trust the packaged ones with heat shrink. I've seen them come off. I have used Dan Blanton's method though and that seems very secure.

I always dab a bit of superglue on them, don't trust the heat shrink either.

Blog Entries

I had one fall off while I was fishing, I cut the rest off the other lines and tied my own loop. The same thing happened to a friend of mine while we were fishing. Nope, don't use the premade ones, I prefer to tie on a short butt section and make a loop in it. Larry ---sagefisher---

I think whipping a loop in the end of the fly line is just as quick and easy. It's very secure / durable, I can make one with materials I always have on hand (monofilament thread and Pilobond), and I can vary the loop size to meet my needs. Plus it doesn't pick up dirt that will sink the tip like a braided loop.

The loops that come in the new lines seem so easily cut through, though. Maybe I will try just nail knotting the pre made loops on and ditch the heat shrink.

Years ago, I had one of the store-bought/shrink tube ones give way (on a snag, luckily) and ditched the rest. Made my own with braided nylon running line (think the idea came from a Dan Blanton article) and they worked pretty well, but I find the whipped loop using just the flyline more durable; just my 1/50 of a dollar.

Regards,
    Scott

I don't use a loop. I use what Al Caucci taught me and he called it a Krazy Glue connection. There's no knot at all. The connection is smooth and almost invisible. End of leader goes into the core of the fly line and is glued. Most importantly, I've never had the connection of line to leader break or fail. Must admit though, I've only used this connection for trout, large (5-6#) catfish, carp and a few salmon. I believe this connection was described in an article in the Archives.

Allan

I don't like them as they have a tendency to crack the line where the loop hinges against the line. Not good to get a good hit/fish on and loose the entire "everything" from the hinge point on down.
    Trouts don't live in ugly places.

A friend is not who knows you the longest, but the one who came and never left your side.

Don't look back, we ain't goin' that way.

What Betty said and that cracking occurs more easily if you use super glue.

+ Reply to Thread