+ Reply to Thread

Thread: rod deconstruction question

Default rod deconstruction question

Any advice is appreciated. I have a Loomis rod with all the guides gone. I'm going to wrap new guides but don't know the best way to remove the old epoxy and wraps without damaging the blank. I imagine there is a technique?

lunker,

I was faced with a similiar situation recently. What I did was to CAREFULLY cut off most of the epoxy with a single edged razor blade. I slid it down the blank holding the blade so that it would NOT cut into the blank in any way. After I got just about all of the epoxy and thread off, I took some VERY fine sand paper and gave it a VERY VERY VERY light sanding in the areas of the former guides. I sanded only to slightly scuff the finish so that my next coat of epoxy would hold much better to the blank and thus hold my thread more secure.

Thats all there really is to it. Just make ABSOLUTELY sure that you do not cut into the blank! Be slow and careful and you should be all right.

Sincerely,
    Reg

Try warming the old epox wih a hairdryer and then use your fingernail or something plastic like a creditcard to work the epox off. If you still have some of the thread, try to catch and end with a pair of tweezers and then it may just rotate off and take most of the epox with it. DO NOT use anything metal becuase if you slip you can damage the blank. If is a job that demands a degree of patience. Allyn

You say the guides are gone but the wraps are still there?

Carefully applied heat and carefully cutting along the top of the guide foot to get started and then using fingernail or plastic scraper or old credit card edge to scarpe away the heat softened epoxy. Your fingernail used as a scraper will also tell you if it's getting too hot.

Some ethyl alcohol, sold as shellac thinner or fondue fuel, to rub off the final sticky stuff.

You can use a hair dryer for heat but whatever you use, take your time, be careful and don't overheat.

------------------
    Joe

Thanks, I used a razor blade to carefully start until I got an end of thread and then it unwrapped nicely and the epoxy came off with the thread. It's nice and clean now, ready to start wrapping.
    Yeah I know it sounds strange, the eyes were gone but the wraps were still there....Here's the story:
    I was duck hunting this tidal estuary and see a blade of grass that turns out to be a tip of a rod sticking above the water. So I get up and pull it out of the mud and it's a 10 wt. GLoomis GLX, with a Galvan Torque 10wt. reel , line, backing, leader, fly, the whole shebang!! It had been in the drink a while, sea lettuce and grass growing all over it, even a few barnacles. So I took apart the reel and took time to clean it all up, put it back together and it sings like a dream!! Smooth drag and all! So I cleaned up the rod (who's eyes had rusted off) and now it's ready for a new set of eyes.
    Obviously I haven't fished it yet, but I'm amazed at the condition of the reel, and how well it still seems to work. Says something for Galvan's materials standing up to the rigors of saltwater abuse!

Wow! One heck of a find!

------------------
    Joe

Hey Lunker,

Couldn't agree more. That sounds like
    an excellent recommendation for the reel.*G*
    Good luck with your restoration. Could have
    been a kayaker who trusted one of the bungie
    paddle/rod holders to be foolproof. At
    least that's how I lost my last rod.*G*
    Warm regards, Jim

[This message has been edited by Jim Hatch (edited 31 December 2005).]