+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Anyone with a MAYFLY2 TRUE ROTARY FLY TYING VISE WITH LEVER JAW?

Hybrid View

Default Anyone with a MAYFLY2 TRUE ROTARY FLY TYING VISE WITH LEVER JAW?

Hi all,
    I lend my friend my Renzetti Traveler to get him from his old Thompson. Not trying to demean them! He found the MAYFLY2 TRUE ROTARY FLY TYING VISE WITH LEVER JAW on evil bay and I was wondering if anyone has used one and how it is.
    Thanks,
    Mike

The Mayfly is a cheap Chinese knockoff of the Renzetti. I had the first version with two screws for jaw adjustment, but never had the lever action vise. The vise is adequate, but rough, needing some polishing and refining, but is entirely adequate for tying and the price is right. For not much more, you can get a true rotary Danvise for a good price at H&H, they also cary the EZ vice which is very similar to the Mayfly and they are a sponsor here. Just sayin. PADDY
    "Tap her light and she'll always be fresh"

I appreciate it Paddy. Me, I love my Renzetti, but it is not my money. I'll pass that on.
    Mike

I have both versions and love them both. The original was a little rough but smoothed up with use. The newer version is much better, smoother out of the box and cam lock jaws a big improvement over the first version. I also have a danvise and much prefer the mayfly vise, especially when tying smaller flies, size 10 or smaller. I struggled with the Danvise with my material hand and placing material onto hook, the angle on the Danvise just didn't work for me. Where the Danvise excells for me is in tying streamers especially when you convert it to straight jaws, an easy mod.

Wayneb

Thanks Wayne, I'll pass that on also.
    Mike

I got mine from Fred directly and requested free shipping.

I have an older one without the cam lever....have not used it enough to comment on use but it seems well enough made and should be well worth the price....see the feedback on ebay.
    It probably doesn't make any real difference but I'm pretty sure mine was made in Pakistan ...seems well made...ebay says made in America...might be worth asking him if he has changed.

+ Reply to Thread