+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Options for cheap, zip-up or other easy-on wading shoes?

Hybrid View

Default Options for cheap, zip-up or other easy-on wading shoes?

Studded wading shoes are great for the environment but they're terrible on fiberglass drift boats. More and more of my shop's clients are showing up with nothing but studs, and it stinks to make them take their boots off once they're in the boat, and the workarounds (overshoes, wearing old tennis shoes, and door mats on the floor of the boat, mostly) leave a lot to be desired.

Then I found these boots from Cabelas. I doubt these would work for the sort of abuse we put our boots through around here (hiking, boulders, etc.), but for floats they'd be fine. My question is whether anyone else makes this type of boot with a felt or sticky rubber sole, versus the flats-type sole. Worst case I'd pay retail from Cabelas, but I'd much rather buy them wholesale if I can. Any ideas?

I received a pair of these for Christmas. They were for walking in snow or on ice but I think they will work if placed over wading boots. I am not recommending these because I have not used them. I do understand that they come in several weights of wire and strength, i.e. 'Pro' and 'XTR' . Take a look and maybe it's something to consider. Maybe someone here has experience with these?

https://www.yaktrax.com/product/walk

Allan
    Last edited by Allan; 01-20-2014 at 07:37 PM.

I don't remember where it was but I have seen a product that slips over studded boots for use in boots. Not much help but someone does have what your looking for.

LfC...I think you need to clarify...

You are looking for something without stud -like features like Allen's....correct.

Are you going to need multiple sizes...if not what size?

Have you looked at beach sandals with velcro straps? I saw a guy put them on right over his wading shoes once to keep the felt soles clean while hiking down a railroad track. Just a thought.

This doesn't directly address your question, but I have a hard waffle type of material on the floor of my Hyde that Lemoyne Hyde said is not damaged by cleats. I haven't tested it myself, but assuming that's the case, you could probably get this material put in the floor of your boat.

My first thought was carpet squares or heavy indoor-outdoor carpet in the boat. Something like this might be what you are looking for:

https://www.shoesforcrews.com/sfc3/i...uggest-50-crew g

Although the sole is designed to be non-slip, I tried their shoes in a Utah stream years ago and did not find them highly effective.
    Want to hear God laugh? Tell him Your plans!!!

Those slip-resistant overshoes might work, but I was really hoping to find alternate cheap, felt-soled shoes that would fit multiple foot sizes, like those Cabelas do, but from a mfg who would sell to the shop wholesale. That way I could get away with getting two each in two sizes for each of our guides and be good to go at a low price. Having something that people have to put on and take off sort of defeats the purpose, since that's already what we have them do when they show up with studded boots.

John: I had that waffle plastic in my boat for the first week I owned it and then threw it away. Hated it --it was perfect for trapping sand/gravel and losing flies in. At any rate, they only make that to fit the rectangular bottom of the boat, not the raised false floors that get shredded by people shuffling their feet in studs.

Quote Originally Posted by Longs for Cutts View Post

John: I had that waffle plastic in my boat for the first week I owned it and then threw it away. Hated it --it was perfect for trapping sand/gravel and losing flies in. At any rate, they only make that to fit the rectangular bottom of the boat, not the raised false floors that get shredded by people shuffling their feet in studs.
    Wally -

The type of floor material that I was referring to is permanently affixed via fiberglass on the bottom of the boat. I had the plastic, removable, squares with a Clackacraft that I had before getting this Hyde, and I agree with what you say about that. The floor in my Hyde is completely different. Mine is a bit harder to clean than a flat surface, but not much. I don't know if anyone other than Hyde has this available, but I'm pretty sure it could be installed in any fiberglass boat by someone proficient with working with fiberglass.

Have you looked at this product from Orvis?

http://www.orvis.com/store/product.aspx?pf_id=3t93
    Want to hear God laugh? Tell him Your plans!!!

+ Reply to Thread