+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I cannot tie a fly tonight

Some times it's just best to walk away for a while!! Not for long, and not very far ... just away. We need to remember this is supposed to be fun!
    Trouts don't live in ugly places.

A friend is not who knows you the longest, but the one who came and never left your side.

Don't look back, we ain't goin' that way.

Check around your house and see if you have a pen similar to these. Remove the ink refill. The opening at the end of the cones will cover the hook eye on most hooks you will be using and allow the thread to slip off the cone onto the hook. You can push material back if you crowded the area. If you have a metal barrelled pen with a continual taper from the top to opening that is best. I usually do about 3 wraps around the tip of the pen and it slides off onto the hook. A couple of those and you're done.

Pen half hitch 2.jpgPen half hitch 1.jpg
    Want to hear God laugh? Tell him Your plans!!!

Zap a Gap isnt cheating, it works great, but dont take my word for it, listen to Dave Whitlock:

Zap-A-Gap

There are a number of glues and cements that I find indespensible in my fly tying activities. Zap-A-Gap is one of them. During the tying process, I often use this glue to make a Zap-A-Gap knot. Simply coat an inch or so of the thread, nearest the hook, with the glue and wrap the wet thread on top of the existing wraps, The Zap-A-Gap knot is just as good as a whip finish.

http://www.warmwaterflytyer.com/bench.asp?page=2
    "Fishermen are born honest, but they get over it"
    Ed Zern

Thanks for the advice everyone. I believe I have a Thompson whip finisher. It was given to me by a friend who never had luck with it. I have watched videos on using it. The problem was that my thread was coming loose and unraveling. Also the thread often slips off the hook of the whip finisher.

I personally think the Thompson is harder to learn than the Matarelli. I'm thinking you have a thread tension problem .The proper tension is easier to apply with the Matarelli
    or manually for that matter.

I grew up using the Thompson, I have now mastered 4 different tools and the hand whip finish. materialli is good for everything except dries where the Thompson shines. I have been tying for over 40 years of course. if anyone is ever in the area I give free lessons....
    sandfly/bob
    N.J.B.B.A. #2215
    I did not escape.....they gave me a day pass!
    from the outer edge of nowhere
    fly tying and fishing ghillie..

tjulian

As Warren has stated most beginners crowd the head as they build the fly. I am one of the newbees.and I can't tell you how many times I have done this. I have learned the hard way that I can't fix it. I need to take it apart, LIKE WARREN SAID, and start all over again. I am trying to learn not to get upset with myself and try to remember that it's a learning process and with-in time and a lot of practice I will be able to tie a fly that others will say "Nice Fly".

WayneC

+ Reply to Thread