+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Id of a line

Hybrid View

Default Id of a line

Bought a used line, so no little sticker to stick on the reel - I know I'll forget it if I don't mark it somehow. Any bright ideas for a waterproof sticker to put on the reel?

Blog Entries

I'd write on the plastic reel with a Sharpie.
    Kevin

Be careful how you live. You may be the only Bible some person ever reads.

This idea is not for the reel but for the line. I figure the reel could be used for several weight lines and I would mark the line so that you will always know what the line is and that way it would make no difference what reel it is on. I mark the end of my fly lines, about 6 inches from the end, with a magic marker. I use dashes or a small magic marker ring around the line. Four rings equals a 4 weight, 5 rings for 5 weight, etc. Some use a wide ring to represent a 5 weight and smaller rings for anything over a 5. In other words, a wide ring is for 5 and 2 smaller rings would be 5 plus 2 or 7 weight.

Just a thought and what I do. I do this because sometimes I switch a particular line weight from one reel to another to see if a heavier reel feels or balances the rod I am using better. I always know what weight the line is no matter what reel it is on.
    Warren
    Fly fishing and fly tying are two things that I do, and when I am doing them, they are the only 2 things I think about. They clear my mind.

Blog Entries

I really like that idea, Warren. I have reels with lines on them that I only "think" I know what is there. I need to mark those lines before my chemo befuddled brain forgets what they are! I have stickers on the reel feet, now but think your idea is MUCH better!
    Kevin

Be careful how you live. You may be the only Bible some person ever reads.

I've used self-adhering file labels or mailing labels before for that. I write very small and very neatly

Grand
    5 WF

or something along those lines, then trim it down to a very small size and stick it on the frame side of the spool somewhere. The stickiness lasts just fine in spite of an occasional dunking and the ink stays as long as it's ballpoint or sharpie or something else that doesn't run when wet.

Actually, one of my MAJOR peeves. If 20 gauge electrical wire can be marked PLAINLY in CLEAR ( small) print and costs $ .06 cents a foot, WHY cannot fly line at near ( at times) $1.00 per foot be also so marked?????? WAIT, don't tell me. It's because we're dumb enough to buy it anyway.

Mark

+ Reply to Thread