+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Background Investigation

Default Background Investigation

Grey craft foam is my favorite background for photographing flies (had used cream but most of the photos had a yellowish cast).

Tried blue the other day

provided an interesting effect, may have possibilities

Regards,
    Scott

Having not seen the actually fly, the color of the green in the top photo is greener appearing than in the lower photo. It seems the gray is more neutral and easier on the eyes.
    Want to hear God laugh? Tell him Your plans!!!

AlanB Guest

I've used foam for some time but I have gone off it recently. Sometimes I find the texture shows and that's a distraction. I got some coloured card instead.
    Cheers,
    A.

A few more colors; no change to lighting setup

Regards,
    Scott

If texture shows in your photo, then you probably have focused more on the background than the fly. Make sure the fly is in focus, and your f-stop is wide open. You won't have any more trouble with the background grain.

Hi Scott,
    glad you brought this subject up for discussion! It really is important no matter if the object is a fly or an item for sale. (e-bay drives me crazy). I bought a small selection of mat boards usually 8x10 pieces (scraps) used in picture framing to prop up behind items I have photographed. It amazes me how different colors can either enhance or detract from an object. I have used a very pale beige and various shades of gray from light to medium dark. In fly photos, it is hard to find a shade that is good for all flies. You very clearly demonstrated that with your photos of the same fly using different backgrounds. I rather liked the black.

Another simple background is cardboard (like you find on the back of a pad or tablet of paper). It's a neutral gray / tan, flat (doesn't reflect) and it has a little bit of texture to it.

DSC_0033.JPG

I suggest that many tyers making videos will wear a medium blue shirt that will be their background. It seems to be most common and acceptable. We all should appreciate the concern for detail by folks like you.
    Good luck

WHEW! When I first saw the topic I thought, "Oh no, they're on to me!". Glad it's the fly background!
    Mike

Now that there is funny, I was thinking along the same lines, And I don't even know Mike.

+ Reply to Thread