+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Anyone put a fly on FOTW??

Hybrid View

Blog Entries

Default Anyone put a fly on FOTW??

I was considering doing so and wonder if there is a template somewhere on the site for use in doing so.
    Thanks,
    Byron Haugh

I did one a few year ago. Just photo the steps and tell the story of tying the fly and maybe why you like the pattern was what I did.
    Want to hear God laugh? Tell him Your plans!!!

Blog Entries

There is no standard template?
    Some I have seen look to be in the same format.

I don't think there is a template. I have one fly on FOTW and suggested to webmaster I might send a couple more (haven't got around to it yet!). No template was suggested at that time. When I did mine I printed a couple of FOTW articles I respected and followed that sequence. I also imagined I was teaching a class so I made sure I took a pic at each point of discussion and wrote about the step. In fact I did project the sequence on a screen when I taught it at the club.
    I shoud get on to those ones I promised!

Blog Entries

Greg,
    When I go to FOTW page, there is no "Post" option.
    Where do you enter a post??

AlanB Guest

Having done a few it is certainly a good feeling. I wouldn't offer a template if I had one! One of the things that makes it is your freedom to do it as you want it. What I can do though is comment on the technical details of how I do it.
    Some people write the words then take the photos to fit. I work the other way, taking the photos then composing the article around them. You should do it as you find best.
    What I usually do is produce the whole thing in MS Word, including the photos. The photos on this can be quite small, they are only there as place holders for the images. Don't worry about the file size of these images until you have completed the document. Then go to any image and right click on it. Go to "Format Image". In the tabs that open go to "Picture". Bottom left is a button marked "Compress". Click on that, and select "All pictures in document", "Web", and "Compress pictures". This will reduce the Word Doc. to a manageable size. Save it.
    Then I put all the images in an email along with the Word Doc. Email it to Neil. (I'll pm his email address as I don't put up other peoples email in public - even if they do).
    If I can help in any other way at all feel free to get in touch.
    Cheers,
    A.
    Last edited by AlanB; 01-18-2014 at 04:09 AM. Reason: Stupid mistake - Old age creeping in!

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Jesse View Post
    I did one a few year ago. Just photo the steps and tell the story of tying the fly and maybe why you like the pattern was what I did.
    Byron,

My experience was the same as Jesse describes above. Actually, because I am terrible at photography I sent in to FAOL a fly at various stages of completion, along with a narrative for each of those stages. Lady L or whoever handles that page completed the photography and posted the completed sequence of photos along with the narratives. Thanks to the work at the site, the finished fly and narrative came out great.

Allan

+ Reply to Thread