+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Stream access on the Madison

Blog Entries

Default Stream access on the Madison

One of the most popular stretches to float/fish the Madison River below Quake Lake is from Lyon's Bridge downstream about 10 miles to the public takeout.

Above Lyon's Bridge you are not allowed to fish from a boat.

From Lyon's Bridge to the public takeout, a company owns the land on both sides of the river. You may not step out of the boat to do anything ( on the land). You can't get out of the boat and enjoy your lunch...you can't go on the adjacent land to urinate. It must be done from the boat.

That company sells fairly large parcels to millionaires for their mini-ranches.

All the efforts to maintain the fishery in the river are either tax supported or done through conservation groups and their contributors.

It seems a shame that the state cannot declare 10 ft. Or so on each side of the river as public - even if it means compensating the landowner. After all, the state is largely responsible for making that river so valuable in the first place. And the state is the people.

Just my personal view.

Don't you have access to the high water mark?

Blog Entries

Yes, but not sure what that would do for you. There isn't much there in that section.

Well, it beats Co. where they own the bottom also. You can't get out of the boat and touch the bottom even if it's waist deep. Any alleviation of the rules would involve politicians so probably a dead end street.

Quote Originally Posted by Byron haugh View Post
    It seems a shame that the state cannot declare 10 ft. Or so on each side of the river as public - even if it means compensating the landowner. After all, the state is largely responsible for making that river so valuable in the first place. And the state is the people.

Just my personal view.
    I think the government using eminent domain to take 10 ft of land from a private landowner would be a shame. I support public access to the high water mark, but I'm not on board with what you're suggesting.

Here in OK, property owners own the land under the water to halfway between the banks. One of my local lakes is stocked with Trout in the winter. Most of the fish head up the feeder creek. That creek has private property on both sides. At least one of those land-owners is hostile towards fishermen. Under OK law, if I drop anchor in the creek, I'm technically trespassing.

In Georgia, the if the landowner owns both banks, they own the water, you can't even float it. There has been at least one case where a guy in a boat was shot by the landowner, who walked away a free man. I am under the impression the landowners have to do their own stocking and there are several high end fishing resorts or lodges along these stretches.
    Want to hear God laugh? Tell him Your plans!!!

I own land in Montana on a spring creek.

My understanding of the law is that as long as you stay below the high water, you may exit a watercraft. The high water mark is defined as that point where aquatic vegetation changes to terrestrial vegetation. Basically, you cannot walk on grass. If you are walking or standing below the grass line you are OK.
    Regards,

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy

Blog Entries

Silver,
    Agree with that. That is why I said you can't get out of the boat and have your lunch on the riverbank (land). The river section I'm talking about has no dry river bed.

Byron,

Is that the section through Sun Ranch West?
    Regards,

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy

+ Reply to Thread