+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: How do I take a fly rod backpacking

Wow, looks like I struck a chord with this one! Thanks for the responses, keep them coming. I love the picture of the Sierras.

Right now I'm leaning toward using the rod sock and securing it to the back of the pack, possibly using a sock like 'oldster' suggests. On the trail, this will be fine. The challenge will be when I leave the trail and start crawling through the undergrowth, but that will likely only be for fishing excursions, so I might as well hold the rod during those times, as I've done before when not backpacking. I've never really understood the need for a trekking pole, maybe because I'm still young, but since I'll be using a tarp, the use of a pole does have an appeal since it could also serve as a tarp support if I ever hgave trouble finding a place with a convenient tree.

Due to my busy homelife (5 kids with the oldest turning 9 on Feb 1, and a pregnant wife), I expect that most of my trips will be short, like only one or two nights. Since the Blue Ridge is practically in my backyard, I'd like to use available weekends to visit several streams on one trip, with an overnight, before returning to the car. Although none of my kids are quite fly-fishing yet, one or two of them are probably old enough to join me for a short trip in the woods. If I decide I like it, longer trips with more hiking miles are also likely in my future. To start out, I will likely spend a few nights on my own property to see how it goes and allow me to skip the meal-planning while I get things dialed-in. Here's a picture of my backyard.

P1140008.jpg

Due to popular request, I will have to post some pictures of my setup. For now, here's a list of my "big three" (sleeping, shelter, and pack).

Sleeping:
    Ray Jardine Quilt, Alpine (~30F) insulation
    Thermarest NeoAir Xlite Women's air pad (I'm small; this is my only premium store bought piece of gear, and relatively heavy at 11oz.)
    I've also considered lighter options for a sleeping pad, and may try using some "Low-E" building insulation, perhaps two layers. It's 1/4" closed-cell foam with aluminum foil on both sides. Provides radiant insulation and two layers would be 1/2" of padding. If taken, Low-E would be cut to size to use as a frame for the backpack.

Shelter:
    Tyvek homewrap 9'x6' with 10 adhesive grommets, one at each corner, and every 3 feet along the sides
    tyvek 1443R bivy sack, seams with Tyvek tape (made using plans from BackpackingLight.com, PM me for a link if interested, not finished; 1443R is what the Tyvek suits are made from)

Pack:
    Glenn Van Peski G4 (materials and pattern bought from Quest Outfitters)

I also have a 3.9 oz. propane/butane stove that works on the canisters sold at sporting goods stores.
    And wherever the river goes, every living creature that swarms will live, and there will be very many fish. Ezekiel 47:9

Being one that has spent a few nights in the Blue ridge under very good and adverse conditions..
    I have 3 suggestions, 1) never carry your rod when hiking, when, not if, you stumble your first instinks will be of cousre to break your fall with your hands, at the same times slamming your rod against whatever is on the way down or the growned itself.. 2) If you do attatch your 2 piece rod to the out side of your back pack ( thats what I do) make sure it does not exstend below the bottom of your back pack, have it high enogh so when you sit down or sit your pack down the bottom of the rod wont hit the ground, ( a slide down a steep slope by accident aint alot of fun lol and your rod will be ok. 3) I really learned this in the Military but after what Iv seen when on the trail, I am very strict about this one. I never sleep out there with out a shelter that will not seal, it has to zip up all the way. I dont want anything crawling in or around my sleeeping area when I am or am not asleep... :0 All that said, Its Awesome to be outthere!!!!
    "Because by the Grace of God I can, be on a beautiful mountain stream with a friend , have the water boil from a 12" Native Brookie taking a self tyed dry,and feel it on the end of my cane... It don't get no better than that..."

There is nothing worse than backpacking to a remote spot where you can fish and have only a broken rod to fish with. A graphite rod of an length strapped to the outside of of a pack can be broken very easily. A graphite rod should be carried in a tube. If you want to save the weight and strap the rod on the outside of your pack, you will have better luck with a fiberglass rod. The 6' 6" Eagle Claw road is cheap and tough. Check it out. http://thefiberglassmanifesto.blogspot.com/p/store.html

Grubb, those are some good tips. I have lost my footing many times, especially when I'm tired, and anything in my hands is susceptible to damage. I like the idea of keeping the rod above the bottom of the pack as well, although sliding down a mountain on my backside isn't my typical downhill mode of transport .

Here are some pictures of my now-finished kit. Well, I guess I do still need to figure out a pillow. All of the big three (sleeping, shelter, and pack) should be a little under 5 pounds, although I haven't weighed it. The picture of the backpack is with the tarp, bivy, quilt, and air pad all inside. The folded tarp is what you see in the front pocket.

G4 Backpack.jpgRay-Way quilt.jpgTyvek bivy.jpg

A broken rod is what I'm trying to avoid with this thread, although there will always be some risk. Perhaps the most dangerous time will be when I'm actually fishing: balanced on two unstable rocks, trying to cast to a pool that I can only partially see, while avoiding overhanging limbs in all directions.
    And wherever the river goes, every living creature that swarms will live, and there will be very many fish. Ezekiel 47:9

+ Reply to Thread