+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How do I take a fly rod backpacking

Hybrid View

Question How do I take a fly rod backpacking

I used my Christmas money this year to buy the gear to assemble an Ultralight (<10lbs base weight) backpacking system. It's almost all homemade, and I'm finished putting it all together save one last item, a homemade bivy sack. I plan to start that this weekend.

What I want to do is combine two passtimes by fly-fishing while hiking. This will mostly be in the small confined mountain streams of the East, but occasional trips to the West are not out of the question. In keeping with the UL mindset, and the budget conscious mindset, I'd like to take a minimalist fishing setup. For now*, this would include my 8' 4wt 2pc. rod, a half dozen or so flies, a small spool of extra tippet or an extra knotless leader, and a small multi-tool with a knife, pliers, and scissors (this will also be my only knife for the other backpacking functions).

My biggest question is how to carry my somewhat unweildy 2 pc. rod. I have a rod tube with a shoulder strap, but that tube weighs about 2 lbs empty, and totally violates the principles of UL hiking. On the other hand, just lashing two flimsy 4' long rod segments to my pack is a good way to break a rod tip. Does anyone have suggestions for how to safely carry such a rod?

__________________________________________________ _
    * - I secretly know the right answer, and it's the answer to nearly every question on any internet forum: MORE GEAR! While a "pack rod" that breaks down into 5, 6, or 7 pieces, or better yet, a Tenakara rod, are great solutions, neither one is likely to be within this year's gear budget. Tenkara makes a lot of sense to me for the small mountain streams, but I'm looking for a way to go out with my existing gear until the time comes when I can buy a new rod.
    And wherever the river goes, every living creature that swarms will live, and there will be very many fish. Ezekiel 47:9

I'm kinda in the same boat; planning a 6-day hike to the Chinese Wall in MT. One idea was to use a fluorescent lamp guard from Home Depot; light (even with the end caps and cheap.

Regards,
    Scott

I recently posted a comment in favor of 2 pc, versus 4 pc rods. I still favor them over 4 pc rods, except for travel when their use is restricted, and backpacking, obviously.

Although I don't carry a 2 pc rod while backpacking, and haven't given it a lot of thought, could you make a suitable hiking staff that would carry the rod inside it?

Start putting your spare change in a large jar and go with one of these or do the cheap PVC pipe:

http://www.landmarkflyrodtubes.com/Tubes/aluminum.htm

I don't know anyone, who is a serious Fly Fishing Trekker, that does not use a rod tube while hiking in the Sierras...one major fall and a busted rod results...

Those mountains are not real forgiving...

PT/TB
    Last edited by planettrout; 01-16-2014 at 02:14 PM.
    Daughter to Father, "How many arms do you have, how many fly rods do you need?"
    http://planettrout.wordpress.com/

When I go hiking to a backcountry lake I use a metal rod case that I have attached a tennis ball to the end. The ball cushions the case on contact with the ground and rocks along the trail. To attach the ball I cut an x-shaped cut about the size of the end of the case then work it onto the end.
    When you become "more mature" (older and your knees are not that good) the case as a hiking stick works well. At least that is my story and I am sticking to it.
    Dick

xfishcop-
    Same method works well walking into and out of the Grand Canyon......
    Just another HappyHooker

Catching and Releasing Fisher-folk for 40+years

Here is an alternative, get a piece of one inch PVC. Put a cane rubber tip on one end. Put a threaded lid on the top. Put the rod pieces in it and leave your walking stick/poles behind.

You should be able to use the pole holder as your tent/tarp pole.

Well, since you are committed to the 2 piece, as others have said a 4 piece is much easier for backpacking, here's a way to carry it fairly safely while hardly adding any weight. Get some pvc piping. This information was taken directly off of the pipe:
    "Charlotte Pipe, True Fit System, 16012 - 1-1/4", PVC 1120, SDR 26PR, 160 PSI, 23* C, UP Code, ASTM D 2241, CP 112P"
    The inside diameter is 1-1/4 inch which is large enough for that fly rod. Cut the piping to length and buy 2 caps to fit over the ends. The caps should fit tightly and you can glue one while just twisting the other on and off as needed. Very inexpensive, excellent protection for the rod, can serve as a hiking stick, and comes in handy for other purposes.

Allan

I would add to Allans reply ... paint part of the tube a bright fluorescent orange, so that if (or when) it gets dropped, you can easily see it. Keep the rod in a soft rod sock, and consider putting a round of inch thick foam in the ends of the tube (in the caps) to protect it from jostling.
    Trouts don't live in ugly places.

A friend is not who knows you the longest, but the one who came and never left your side.

Don't look back, we ain't goin' that way.

How about going "native" and really light weight ? Take a rolled up section of flyline with leader attached, a box of flies, nippers,floatant ,whatever small accesories you like and when you arrive at the mountain fishing spot cut a 10-13 foot Willow that is suitably tapered, attach said flyline and fly and wala' inatant Tenkara ! Just a thought !
    "Tap her light and she'll always be fresh"

+ Reply to Thread