+ Reply to Thread

Thread: How do I take a fly rod backpacking

Hybrid View

I would add to Allans reply ... paint part of the tube a bright fluorescent orange, so that if (or when) it gets dropped, you can easily see it. Keep the rod in a soft rod sock, and consider putting a round of inch thick foam in the ends of the tube (in the caps) to protect it from jostling.
    Trouts don't live in ugly places.

A friend is not who knows you the longest, but the one who came and never left your side.

Don't look back, we ain't goin' that way.

How about going "native" and really light weight ? Take a rolled up section of flyline with leader attached, a box of flies, nippers,floatant ,whatever small accesories you like and when you arrive at the mountain fishing spot cut a 10-13 foot Willow that is suitably tapered, attach said flyline and fly and wala' inatant Tenkara ! Just a thought !
    "Tap her light and she'll always be fresh"

If you are concerned about saving ounces then you simply must assume some level of risk. If you want total protection for your rod, then you must sacrifice some of your ultralight philosophy.

If you are really committed to the "ultralight" hiking thing, then you will have to accept the risk of carrying your rod as-is, or at the most putting it in a fabric rod sleeve of some kind. I use electrical-harness woven sleeving for many of my rods- not for the same philosophy as you, but it protects the rods and weighs almost nothing. Or, hell, just carry your rod with you. I can't imagine how many miles I've walked carrying a fishing rod in my lifetime.
    Last edited by jszymczyk; 01-16-2014 at 03:59 PM.
    To the simpleton, proof does not matter once emotion takes hold of an issue.

When I was a teenager I would lash my 8.5' 2 pc. Eagle Claw rod naked to my external frame pack. It was awkward, but I never broke it. Of course it was a $20 rod. Next up was a 4 piece rod and I found a lightweight plastic tube that I cut down to length. Now it's an 8 pc. rod in a metal tube. It's a little heavy but super easy to pack.

I know you are not interested in a new rod right now but you might start reading about Tenkara fishing. While I still prefer a western style rod and reel, Tenkara rods fit well with ultralight backpacking (particularly for small streams) because no reel is involved - just a rod, a bit of line and tippet, and a few flies. The rods are about 18" collapsed and very light weight. The whole outfit runs about 3 to 4 oz and under $200.
    David

if you aren't married to the fly rod, you can get a cheapo collapsible spining rod and tenkara that puppy, or put your fly reel on it. or just fish the Fly-and-bubble method. those rods usually run around $20 or less.

watch garage sales and craigslist. I bought a 5 piece Redington at a yard sale for $20. it had a broken butt cap, but for $37 including replacement fee and postage for a total of $57 I had a packable rod.
    Last edited by maodiver; 01-16-2014 at 05:14 PM.
    ‎"Trust, but verify" - Russian Proverb, as used by Ronald Reagan

Hi
    Bass Pro shops offers the cordura covered rod tubes that have carrying straps/handles for reasonable prices...about mid $20's. I believe they would be lighter than PVC tubes. Some are available to leave reel attached with a little room for a small fly box. Cabelas also offers the cordura tubes but I believe they cost more than BPS.
    You might find an eagle claw rod or another brand of about 6 or 7 ft at walmart. I realize you want to avoid more gear purchases but you may encounter unrepairable damages to your good gear and if that matters, check out some cheap but useable gear at Walmart.
    I think at one time Daiwa offered a very compact 7 piece spinning rod and reel combo. My boys each took one to prep school with them.

I bought a 7 piece rod to take hiking . . . For a more inexpensive version, years ago, I bought a cheap spin/fly rod at Walmart for about $20. It would be fine for something like this as well. I have seen people using a thin pvc pipe carrying a rod as a walking stick. I have seen rod tubes strapped to the outside of backpacks, both 2 and 4 piece. I like the 7 piece as I can put the rod tube in my Camelback and off we go. It was worth the investment even though I don't use it much.
    ----------------
    Wayne
    Trout, Bass, Carp, Whatever!
    http://flynut.wordpress.com

In his book "Flyfishing the Mountain Lakes", Gary LaFontaine deals extensively with flyfishing and backpacking. Gary used 2 pc rods in aluminum tubes which he used as walking sticks. The book is highly recommended.

I have backpacked with a rod many times. Get a sock and attach it to the side of your pack at the bottom. ( A longer sock will help). With the rod in its Cloth case drop the end in the sock. Use a piece of double sided velcro to attatch the upper part of the rod to the side of the pack near the top. Be careful of what you walk under. I have ever broken a rod with this method

+ Reply to Thread