Wow, looks like I struck a chord with this one! Thanks for the responses, keep them coming. I love the picture of the Sierras.

Right now I'm leaning toward using the rod sock and securing it to the back of the pack, possibly using a sock like 'oldster' suggests. On the trail, this will be fine. The challenge will be when I leave the trail and start crawling through the undergrowth, but that will likely only be for fishing excursions, so I might as well hold the rod during those times, as I've done before when not backpacking. I've never really understood the need for a trekking pole, maybe because I'm still young, but since I'll be using a tarp, the use of a pole does have an appeal since it could also serve as a tarp support if I ever hgave trouble finding a place with a convenient tree.

Due to my busy homelife (5 kids with the oldest turning 9 on Feb 1, and a pregnant wife), I expect that most of my trips will be short, like only one or two nights. Since the Blue Ridge is practically in my backyard, I'd like to use available weekends to visit several streams on one trip, with an overnight, before returning to the car. Although none of my kids are quite fly-fishing yet, one or two of them are probably old enough to join me for a short trip in the woods. If I decide I like it, longer trips with more hiking miles are also likely in my future. To start out, I will likely spend a few nights on my own property to see how it goes and allow me to skip the meal-planning while I get things dialed-in. Here's a picture of my backyard.

P1140008.jpg

Due to popular request, I will have to post some pictures of my setup. For now, here's a list of my "big three" (sleeping, shelter, and pack).

Sleeping:
Ray Jardine Quilt, Alpine (~30F) insulation
Thermarest NeoAir Xlite Women's air pad (I'm small; this is my only premium store bought piece of gear, and relatively heavy at 11oz.)
I've also considered lighter options for a sleeping pad, and may try using some "Low-E" building insulation, perhaps two layers. It's 1/4" closed-cell foam with aluminum foil on both sides. Provides radiant insulation and two layers would be 1/2" of padding. If taken, Low-E would be cut to size to use as a frame for the backpack.

Shelter:
Tyvek homewrap 9'x6' with 10 adhesive grommets, one at each corner, and every 3 feet along the sides
tyvek 1443R bivy sack, seams with Tyvek tape (made using plans from BackpackingLight.com, PM me for a link if interested, not finished; 1443R is what the Tyvek suits are made from)

Pack:
Glenn Van Peski G4 (materials and pattern bought from Quest Outfitters)

I also have a 3.9 oz. propane/butane stove that works on the canisters sold at sporting goods stores.