+ Reply to Thread

Thread: rebuilding Glass rods?

Default rebuilding Glass rods?

I have a buddy who is willing to let me try and rebuild his old Glass rod. It's in a pretty sad state right now, missing guides etc. What should be my first step? I was thinking to just strip it of everything, and then lightly wetsand the paint off, to start with a renewed blank. Would this be a bad idea? Any tips will be greatly appreciated! Oh, and one more important thing, I've obviously never refinished a rod before, so keep that in mind!

You got the right idea. Just strip it and put it back together.
    I did one last year, came out real nice for a POS rod.
    Be careful sanding near the tip. I was a little too agressive and busted mine.
    I guess that was good practice for scarfing the tip back together. The break is hidden under a wrap and it casts as good as new.

------------------
    if you want me I'll be under my bed

[This message has been edited by dudley (edited 16 December 2005).]
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements.
    --- Horace Kephart

I would be overly cautious about sanding any glass rod. If you get into the fibers, it spells doom for the rod. I would use a mild paint remover if it is painted and get it down to the glass. If you do any sanding at all use automotive grade or jewelers grade 1500 or 200 grit and wet sand. Should be a lot of fun too. I did a couple of Heddons for a friend and they were a blast to do and they cast quite well too.

I planned to use some very fine automotive wet sanding paper. I have a friend with an awesome body shop, and I'm sure he'll hook me up with some super fine stuff. I'd be afraid of using a chemical to strip the paint because I'd be nervous about ruining the fiberglass.

If you use one of the citrus type paint removers, you should be pretty safe. Stripping the rod may or not be the best choice, depending on the rod. If you could post pictures, it would be a big help.

The rod has been painted by someone. It was picked up at a flea market for a dollar. I just want to do it to see how it turns out. I've never rebuilt a rod before, and I just want to give it a try. But at the same time, I didn't want to just "wing it" and ruin it before I even got to make my first guide wrap!!

+ Reply to Thread