[QUOTE=Buddy Sanders;491603]I get that the breaking strengths are different. But does it really matter? It's not like it's required, or even desirable, to use a leader that 'matches' the 'X' size of the tippet.

Why do you have to use a leader that's the same 'X' size as the tippet you want to use? Actually, why would you even WANT to?

You can always just, for example, buy a 3X leader, put 5X tippet on it, and have the benefits of the knotless tapered leader with no loss of strength. I've always done it that way, as I've always wanted my tippet be the 'weak link'.

Just decide what tippet size you want, but a leader that tests ABOVE that, and you're done.

It's time for the outdated 'X' system to go away. It really has no true meaning anymore. We can all understand diameters in either inches or millimeters, and breaking strength in pounds or kilograms. This doesn't have to be so hard.

Buddy[/QUOTE

I agree. Using a 7.5 ft 4x leader with a 1.5 ft 5x tippet would produce a stronger leader than using a 9 ft 5x knotless tapered leader.