+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: soft hackle?

Default soft hackle?

Does anyone know if hobby lobby has any type of feathers that would be a source of soft hackle?

Thanks in advance.

They might have some assorted feather packages that contain some pheasant body feathers. Not sure if they'll work or not, though.

Maybe, but I think you'd be better off getting an Indian hen back to start off with. If you can't get to a flyshop (Feathercraft in St. Louis is a great one) lots of places carry them online for about $5.

Regards,
    Scott

What I have seen is they are not worth much. Same for Joann's. Michaels has some at times

What ScottP recommended is what I would recommend for starters. You could also look at Hen Neck. Both would be around $5 and would serve you well. The Hen Neck will give you a little longer feather than Hen Back and the added length can be used for mini buggers on size 14 streamer hooks. If you are going to Hobby Lobby for supplies, you can look in the plastic flower area and you will find Pheasant Tail feathers, Ostrich Herl tail feathers and Peacock tail feathers and all of these are good supplies to have on hand for other fly patterns.
    Warren
    Fly fishing and fly tying are two things that I do, and when I am doing them, they are the only 2 things I think about. They clear my mind.

If you're going to put in the time and effort to tie the soft hackled flies, do yourself a favor and get a nice Indian Hen , and/or starling skin. Each will tie roughly a bazillion flies, and the 8-10 bucks you'll invest on one (or preferably both) of those skins will give you great flies, and pleasure in your fishing adventures.
    Trouts don't live in ugly places.

A friend is not who knows you the longest, but the one who came and never left your side.

Don't look back, we ain't goin' that way.

Not an answer to your question about Hobby Lobby, but in your area, if you're not a bird hunter, get to know one. Quail have excellent soft hackle feathers. In fact, I prefer the feathers on the wing of a Bob White to any partridge I've used. Woodcock have some excellent soft hackles also.
    Good fishing,
    Arnie

Arnie, that's what I've done. Got a lot of nice feathers for soft hackles from just two ducks (and some CDC). I also have a half Partridge skin, and an India Hen Hackle.

Soft Hackle Flies require a feather from a hen...

The hackle found in a Hobby Store, are for the most part dyed, and if you use the hackle of a fly pattern the dye will become washed out...

You do not need that many colors of hen hackle for dressing soft hackle fly patterns, so I suggest getting the good stuff from a fly shop that sells brand name hen hackle capes...

~Parnelli~
    "Everyone you meet in life, give you happiness! Some by their arrival, others by their departure!" ~Parnelli

Quote Originally Posted by Steven McGarthwaite View Post
    Soft Hackle Flies require a feather from a hen...
    Actually, more soft hackle require hackle from a game bird like partridge or woodcock.
    Bob

+ Reply to Thread