If the lead is molded onto the hook, it's a jig. If it's tied on, it's a fly, if you fish it on a fly rod. If you cast it on a spinning rod, it's spin fishing with a fly, just like using a fly with a casting bubble on a spinning rod. If you use live (or dead) bait with a fly rod (which I do sometimes), it's fly fishing with bait. A lot of fly patterns can be tied on jigs, and as trailers on French spinners.

Quote Originally Posted by vicrider View Post
Is there not a fine and wavering line between jig/lure/fly? If you tie the pattern with bead chain eyes, bead, or barbell eyes it's a fly even if you use a 60deg jig hook, one of my favorites. If you use a jig hook with the lead already on there and tie the same pattern, it's no longer a fly? If I throw my pattern with barbell eyes on a spinning rod and you throw it on a fly rod next to me, does it magically change from a fly to a lure? Too confusing an argument for me, but it sure gets tossed about a lot.

I really like the links to some of those patterns. They should also be a great carp fly also. Great looking flies by all. By the way, if you watch crawfish in the water, when they burst away with their tail a'flippin, they close the claws together so it might be best to not lock the claws in an open position. 'Course, I don't think that makes a lot of difference since in my fishing bass with heathen tackle I caught fish on craws that had lost both of their claws. If a fish wants, he'll get it. I also learned something else both by feel and by sight. A bass often yanks a craw off the bottom and drops it. This way they can grab the whole craw in thier mouth and not have to try to get past the claws. If you're fishing right on the bottom and get a bump, don't set immediately. Lift and feel for weight. If he has it, he'll hold it. If he doesn't he might well grab it hard so be ready.