+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Crawfish Pattern...anyone?

913 Jackson Lake Rd, Chatsworth, Ga. 30705 (423) 438-1060

The weight at the rear is because crawfish swim backwards, so you want the jigging motion to be at the rear, rather than the front of the fly. Crawfish land tail-first when they swim.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Kunz View Post
    Excuse my silly question, but why do the many crawfish patterns have the dumbbell weights at the tail end of the crawfish.
    Aren't the critters eyes and mouth at the end between the claws?

I'll try to submit it it as soon as I can get some time to do the tutorial. It would be cool if FAOL could post videos of patterns. That would be easier (for me, anyway...).

Quote Originally Posted by Ed_D View Post
    As a FotW it is archived in a readily accessible manner. These post get archived off-line at some point, I think. That fly is too nice to lose.

Regards,
    Ed

Quote Originally Posted by Gigmaster View Post
    I'll try to submit it it as soon as I can get some time to do the tutorial. It would be cool if FAOL could post videos of patterns. That would be easier (for me, anyway...).
    I think podcasts are an option on FAOL. LadyFisher can correct me if I'm wrong.

Ed

Good looking easy pattern from this site:
    http://www.flyanglersonline.com/bb/s...irrel-crawfish
    "So many people are out there doing things they call environmentalism, but only because it's politically correct or has a lot of cache."

Nice crawfish, but it's not a fly. It's a jig.

I tie jigs, too, as well as make my own fishing lures.

Quote Originally Posted by CoachBob View Post
    Good looking easy pattern from this site:
    http://www.flyanglersonline.com/bb/s...irrel-crawfish

Is there not a fine and wavering line between jig/lure/fly? If you tie the pattern with bead chain eyes, bead, or barbell eyes it's a fly even if you use a 60deg jig hook, one of my favorites. If you use a jig hook with the lead already on there and tie the same pattern, it's no longer a fly? If I throw my pattern with barbell eyes on a spinning rod and you throw it on a fly rod next to me, does it magically change from a fly to a lure? Too confusing an argument for me, but it sure gets tossed about a lot.

I really like the links to some of those patterns. They should also be a great carp fly also. Great looking flies by all. By the way, if you watch crawfish in the water, when they burst away with their tail a'flippin, they close the claws together so it might be best to not lock the claws in an open position. 'Course, I don't think that makes a lot of difference since in my fishing bass with heathen tackle I caught fish on craws that had lost both of their claws. If a fish wants, he'll get it. I also learned something else both by feel and by sight. A bass often yanks a craw off the bottom and drops it. This way they can grab the whole craw in thier mouth and not have to try to get past the claws. If you're fishing right on the bottom and get a bump, don't set immediately. Lift and feel for weight. If he has it, he'll hold it. If he doesn't he might well grab it hard so be ready.
    Last edited by vicrider; 03-12-2014 at 05:29 AM. Reason: spelling correction

Well said vicrider, a couple of years ago I ran into a guy catching some nice trout using a Clouser minnow on his ultra-light spinning outfit.
    Want to hear God laugh? Tell him Your plans!!!

Fishing a fly on a spinning outfit is ....fishing a fly fishing/lure. Simple. Now, fishing a REAL crawfish on a fly rod, is BAIT FISHING....simple

If the lead is molded onto the hook, it's a jig. If it's tied on, it's a fly, if you fish it on a fly rod. If you cast it on a spinning rod, it's spin fishing with a fly, just like using a fly with a casting bubble on a spinning rod. If you use live (or dead) bait with a fly rod (which I do sometimes), it's fly fishing with bait. A lot of fly patterns can be tied on jigs, and as trailers on French spinners.

Quote Originally Posted by vicrider View Post
    Is there not a fine and wavering line between jig/lure/fly? If you tie the pattern with bead chain eyes, bead, or barbell eyes it's a fly even if you use a 60deg jig hook, one of my favorites. If you use a jig hook with the lead already on there and tie the same pattern, it's no longer a fly? If I throw my pattern with barbell eyes on a spinning rod and you throw it on a fly rod next to me, does it magically change from a fly to a lure? Too confusing an argument for me, but it sure gets tossed about a lot.

I really like the links to some of those patterns. They should also be a great carp fly also. Great looking flies by all. By the way, if you watch crawfish in the water, when they burst away with their tail a'flippin, they close the claws together so it might be best to not lock the claws in an open position. 'Course, I don't think that makes a lot of difference since in my fishing bass with heathen tackle I caught fish on craws that had lost both of their claws. If a fish wants, he'll get it. I also learned something else both by feel and by sight. A bass often yanks a craw off the bottom and drops it. This way they can grab the whole craw in thier mouth and not have to try to get past the claws. If you're fishing right on the bottom and get a bump, don't set immediately. Lift and feel for weight. If he has it, he'll hold it. If he doesn't he might well grab it hard so be ready.

Well,
    I do use these specially on a deep nymph rig and micro buggers
    http://www.cabelas.com/product/Fishi...3Bcat103885380

But if yu don't like the molded bead.

http://midcurrent.com/flies/hooks-the-jig-is-up/

I have an acquaintance that uses a fly rod, because of the length only, and just mono on the reel (relying on lead to get the bait or lure OR a water bubble 0ut)....not fly fishing to me, just plain ol bait fishing.

+ Reply to Thread