Thread: Crawfish Pattern...anyone?

Threaded View

Quote Originally Posted by Ed_D View Post
    It may seem to be a muddle, but there is a very real difference to a game warden if you are fishing "flies only" water in many states. According to my guide, you can fish flies from a spinning rod in the "flies only" water on the North Branch of the AuSable River legally. (He told me several years ago.) The same cannot be said by fishing non-flies with a fly rod.

In many places, molded jigs are specifically excluded from the list of what is considered to be a fly, but bead-head flies are allowed. Working around fine lines should not trouble people who tie flies or use fine tippet material.

Ed
    I have said it before. The only definition that really matters is the one in the rule book that governs the waters you are fishing in and the opinion that matters is that of those that interpret said laws.

I personally watched a warden give a ticket in fly fishing only waters to a fly fisher that kept his leader in the water a couple times while changing spots in his canoe. The ticket was for trolling and you could visibly see the angler wasn't intentionally trolling for fish.

With the above being said I routinely will use jigs and weighted flies on fly rod but I don't consider myself fly fishing. I consider it using a fly rod to fish jigs. A micro jig on a floating line is a great way to manage depth control.
    Last edited by Micropteris; 03-12-2014 at 06:09 PM.
    Your hooks sharp????