+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Uni Size B Thread.

Hybrid View

Default Uni Size B Thread.

Some time ago I bought some UNI size B thread at a close sale for about a dime a spool. Didn't know what I would do with it so I used some as ribbing. Then I decided to tie some large flies for crappie or bass. I found that when tying the finishing knot there was a tendency for the knot to come loose. I have not had that problem with 3/0 or 6/0. Some time ago a member, I believe it was Rick Z. suggested using super glue when tying Boa flies. I took this suggestion and my problem was solved.

Thanks to Rick Z or whomever suggested supper glue.

Tim
    Last edited by Panman; 01-08-2014 at 06:37 PM.

Nail polish does the same trick! Always handy...
    The Green Hornet strikes again!!!

Prior to making the last several wraps of thread, place a thin film of the 'Crazy Glue' on about 1-1/2 inch of the thread. Then make those last wraps. Hold the thread in place for a few seconds. That should create a good bond to the thread. Cut thread and then, just to make sure and to add a bit of gloss, apply a little of whatever you typically use for head cement. 'B' is a pretty heavy thread though.

AlanB Guest

Before forming the whip finish spin the bobbin to take out the twist you have built up in tying the fly. You can pull a whip finish as tight as you like but if the thread is corded up when you trim it the thread will untwist and the whip finish become loose. Something to cement it after is also a good idea.
    Cheers,
    A.

When I started this post I stated that my problem was solved. Three members of FAOL offered additional advice on the tying of big thread. I tried all three suggestion and am pleased to say they were very workable. I would like to thank those members for the impute.

Tim

AlanB Guest

There is more than one way to skin a cat! I know I wouldn't be happy using the super glue method. Once had some run down the thread and ruin a good bobbin holder. Since then I try to avoid the stuff.
    Cheers,
    A.

+ Reply to Thread