+ Reply to Thread

Thread: decorative thread wraps

Default decorative thread wraps

Looking for a good tutorial on decorative thread wraps. All looks like geometry to me, which wasn't one of my real strong point in high school. When I was a kid, though, I made some mean looking potholders doing those cross "stiches" with pieces of round cloth. Whatever you recommend, it has to be simple and perhaps even profound. I'm a man with a simple mind. JGW

Custom Rod Thread Art by Dale Clemens. The best I've seen. Spend some time practicing on a wooden dowel and then go crazy.
    I would start with some simple diamonds. They are a simple pattern, and look about as good as anything out there IMO.

Way to go Blue...now you have really sent him to the dark side! I agree on the recomendation of Clemen's book. Easy to understand and follow.
    Brad
    "A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her."
    -W.C. Fields

<hee, hee, hee> He'll soon join us. Addictions should be shared (at least the good ones).

If you liked makin' the potholders, you may want to give weaving a try. The same Clemens book mentioned before has all the info you need for basic weaving. I like it because I can come up with my own pattern on graph paper and apply it to the rod. I'll second ol' blue about testing on a dowel. Just make sure it is similar in size to the rod you want to work on.
    Swamp

Thanks for the responces, folks. Surely appreciated. After Christmas I'll see if I can find the book in the library system. JGW

+ Reply to Thread