+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Auckland on a monday

Hybrid View

Default Auckland on a monday

Hi guys managed a quick trip out with a mate on his boat on Monday after work. We quickly got into some small Kingfish not 5 minutes from the launching ramp.
    They might be small but man can they fight!
    You can see the mini work up behind me that the fish came from.

At one point every cast had about 5 fish chasing the fly, it was very exiting!
    It was a lovely way to spend the evening, can hardly wait to do it again.
    Auckland from the Rangi Channel

All the best.
    Mike

Superb job Mike! Kingies on fly must be a real hoot (reel hoot works too! ) Were they legal size (is it 75 cm now?) Would smoke up very nicely.

- Jeff
    Am fear a chailleas a chanain caillidh e a shaoghal. -

He who loses his language loses his world.

Hi Jeff, they are fantastic fun, but the ones that hang around this spot are mostly around 50 to 60cm long so not legal.
    The ones we catch from the channel markers are a bit bigger, but harder to get as well! Last time out I think we got 7 and only one was legal, but we did not keep any, I like to let them go if possible.
    I am thinking of going for a fish at Point Chev this Friday if you fancy it? you will need a #6 or #7 and can expect to catch small Snapper and Kahawai.
    All the best.
    Mike

Looks like a fun way to spend the evening Mike. What weight rod are you using? Jim
    I'm either going to, coming from or thinking about fishing. Jim

Hi Jim, hope all is well with you?
    I am using a #9 the fish in the picture are do-able on a #7, but only a few inches longer and you need a #12! The biggest King was not legal, probably only 65cm but with the drag on 9 on my Sage 2080 it was pulling line at will! Some of the kings in the area can go to 20kg, not much chance on a fly rod.
    All the best.
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Thomas View Post
    Hi Jeff, they are fantastic fun, but the ones that hang around this spot are mostly around 50 to 60cm long so not legal.
    The ones we catch from the channel markers are a bit bigger, but harder to get as well! Last time out I think we got 7 and only one was legal, but we did not keep any, I like to let them go if possible.
    I am thinking of going for a fish at Point Chev this Friday if you fancy it? you will need a #6 or #7 and can expect to catch small Snapper and Kahawai.
    All the best.
    Mike
    Hi Mike,

50 to 60 sounds perfect for the fly rod though. Kingies put up such a massive fight. Would love to join you at Point Chev, but unfortunately one of my PhD students is handing me a draft of his thesis tomorrow and I have to get feedback to him quickly. He wants to hand in soon, so it's down to the crunch. This is just the first draft I'll be seeing, so hard to say how much work it will need. He is very clever, and his work is solid, so the main job will be making sure that is obvious to a reader who doesn't know him. So, it looks like my day and weekend will be nose deep in a 200+ page thesis. Fun stuff.

- Jeff
    Am fear a chailleas a chanain caillidh e a shaoghal. -

He who loses his language loses his world.

+ Reply to Thread