Just another thought on fly sizes for bass that I thought would be worthly of posting. One should select their bass fly sizes based on what the bass are use to seeing and feeding on. By this I mean that the bass in Florida are use to seeing much larger prey than bass in the northern areas. I would think that you would want to present a fly that is close to the size the bass are use to seeing. I do not think you could present a fly that is to small but you could present a fly that is too big for the majority of the bass in your system. Yes, a larger fly may get the attention of the largest bass in the lake or pond, but, there will be a lot more smaller bass and catching a lot of 2 to 3 pound bass would be more fun for me than fishing all day and catching one bragging size bass. I guess it would depend on what your goal is when fishing for bass. If you are after the biggest bass for a possible line record or State record, then larger flies would be the norm, but, if you are just out for the fun of catching a lot of bass and not that worried about how big or small they are, then you should present a fly that is pretty close to what they are feeding on. Same goes for trout fishing. Some trout fishermen will spend the whole day flinging larger streamers and flies and they are only interested in catching the largest brown/rainbow in the river and do not want to be bothered with the smaller trout. If that is what they enjoy, then that is what they should do.

So, I guess what I am trying to say is that you should try to fish with bass flies that are the size of the prey that your area bass are use to feeding on and that size varies from State to State.

Just thoughts and nothing more.....