Thread: Fly sizes

Threaded View

Bass eat small things as well as big things and even small hooks will hold if they are sharp. I catch a lot of bass tied on size 10 and 8 hooks.

A lot depends on the types of patterns and sizes you will toe. I tie flies for LM bass on hooks from size 10 to 6/0 ( flies from 1.5 to 12 inches long).

But selecting hooks based on the manufacturers labeled size can be confusing as there is no standard. Two hooks that I use a lot that are about the same physical size are the Tiemco 8089 in size 10 and the Mustad 3407 in size 1. When selecting a hook for a pattern I select it based on its actual physical dimensions rather than the manufacturers size designation.

For streamers I prefer short shank or standard shank length wide gap hooks. My favorites are the Gamakatsu SC15 in sizes 4 through 2/0 and Tiemco 8089 in sizes 12 through 2. Short shank hooks are often preferred because they can be a bit more difficult for a leaping fish to throw. Bass engulf their prey too so short strikes are not usually an issue. Wide gap hooks are easier to fit snag guards to. I also use the 8089 for most of my surface bugs.

For bugger type patterns I sometimes use 1xl or 2xl standard nymph hooks in sizes 2 down to 8 such as the Tiemco 5262. These will hold even large bass fairly well if they stick in soft tissue.

I also use a lot of straight shank hooks intended for use with plastic worms. These hooks usually have a pretty good shank length to hook gap ratio. I tie lots of big bugger type flies on these types of hooks. Many local anglers who cross over from fishing plastic worms to flies often start tying on worm hooks because they already have them.

A great all around hook for bass patterns that is often available through fly shops is the Mustad 3366. It has a nice shank length and gap and can be used for buggers, streamers, and top water patterns. A selection in sizes 10 through 1/0 would be sufficient for many patterns appropriate for bass. A starter collection of the 3366 in size 6, 2, and 1/0 will provide pretty good coverage and allow you to create flies with a wide range of physical dimensions.
    Last edited by tailingloop; 01-05-2014 at 11:34 PM.