Thread: Uv2?

Threaded View

Quote Originally Posted by planettrout View Post
    All I am going to say is that I have been tying with a lot of UV2 products over the last year and a half. IMHO the answer is yes and it isn't just me...Craig Matthews of Blue Ribbon Flies has been using the UV2 materials in many of his standard patterns since Spirit River first came out with these products

I don't tie 'em for exercise...

PT/TB
    Planetrout,

I notice the UV2 product says fluorescent orange on it. So we've had fluorescent products before and fluorescence (UVF) is not reflectance (UVR). Fluorescence we can see since it is an invisible UV photon absorbed and re-emittied as a visible color.

So how do you or I know that it is not fluorescence that attracts the fish since these flies will "glow" a brighter color because UV penetrates further down into the water column where non UV colors are drab.

Furthermore, you can match the UVF emitted color to a natural but you cannot match UV reflectance that we cannot see. That is the UV Reflectance (UVR) conundrum. If they are saying that UVR works based on a product that also UVFs, that is junk science since we already know that UVF attracts fish.
    Last edited by Silver Creek; 01-04-2014 at 07:29 PM.
    Regards,

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy